Overriding core engine/lib/access.php

I'm trying to override the core engine/lib/access.php with a plugin. I get an error message resulting from code in my start.php. Here my start.php:

function nopublic_init() {

// Extend system CSS with our own styles

extend_view('css','nopublic/css');

// Replace the default index page

register_plugin_hook('access_list','system','new_access_list');

}

function new_access_list() {

if (!@include_once(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))) . "/nopublic/access.php") return false;

return true;

}

// Make sure the plugin has been registered

register_elgg_event_handler('init','system','nopublic_init');

What am I doing wrong?

• Okay--got rid of the error. Still, I cannot shut down public access. Here is what I have:

<?php

function nopublic_init() {

// Extend system CSS with our own styles

extend_view('css','nopublic/css');

// Replace the default index page

register_plugin_hook('get_write_access_array','system','new_get_write_access_array');

}

function new_get_write_access_array() {

if (!@include_once(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))) . "/nopublic/access.php") return false;

return true;

}

// Make sure the plugin has been registered

register_elgg_event_handler('init','system','nopublic_init');

?>

I have tried various hooks:

• access_array
    • get_access_array
    • get_write_access_array
    • get_access_list
    I access.php I deleted:
    • define('ACCESS_PUBLIC',2);
    • , 2 => elgg_echo("PUBLIC")
    Any help appreciated. I need to show that this can be done to sell Elgg to K12 constituencies.
    Steve

• I edited the core access.php to test the changes I made there and all is good.

My problem is certainly in the start.php

• Honestly I would just say to delete out the public access options in access.php as you did. and then just leave it be. The hack is only 1 line [you don't even need to edit out  define('ACCESS_PUBLIC',2); ]

I don't know what is wrong with your start.php file because I have not dealt with hooks a lot yet, but overall, I think as long as you remember to document some kind of upgrade checklist and put a reference to your one small edit in it, it should be fine no?  I know you probably want to contribute it to others, but it just seems like such a long way around to me.

Hope this helps (probably does not)

P.s. thanks for the writeup , I just want to attract more devs and testers! I've got some people contributing at least.

Thanks

• You may be right. It is certainly simple enough to delete the code in the core. 

However, learning to do this in such a simple instance would give me the key to doing it in other circumstances. The added benefit is that once I figure it out, I'll write up a procedure in clear terms on my blog so that others can do the same. The thrust of my blog is to provide a bridge for those less adept at code. To a large extent, I think I have opened  a lot of doors for many people and would like to continue to do the same.

I also would like a nice tidy package to offer educators at an upcoming conference where I am presenting on Open Source alternatives to "free" hosted solutions for Web 2.0 applications in education.

Thanks Jade!

Steve

• Still looking for any guidance on the access.php override's start.php.

I'm missing something!

Thanks,

Steve

• Hello Steve, i'm trying to override /engine/lib/access.php too.

I have made a "friends only" access level directly in the core. I would like to make a plugin in order to be able updates on my ELGG (without miss my hack).

If you can use the function  "override_function" in your server it's all done, but i think this isn't the answer...

Do you know any way to do this?

Thanks!

• I ended up overriding it with an override in the views menu described here:

http://openedweb.com/blog/2008/11/07/view-overrides-not-just-for-themes/

That worked for eliminating options, but I don't think it would work for adding functions as you are.

I believe one needs to provide the appropriate hook in the start.php, but what that was eluded me.

I remain interested in a solution. 

Steve

• Im starting to think that is not going to be possible. We can only override views and actions but not other files in the core, at least as far as I know. Anyway, if I find something I will tell you.

Regards

• I was wondering whether there's an update to this subject.

in my case, i am trying to override the following function within the file engine/lib/annotations.php:

function get_annotation($annotation_id) {...}

it's just 1 line, however, it gets easly forgotton for future upgrades..

• Hi, Earthling,

I have never found a compelling case to override core lib files.  There is usually another way to do what you're trying to do, or else it's an enhancement/defect that should be fixed by Elgg itself.  What are you trying to accomplish?