Elgg couldn't connect to the database using the given credentials *****@localhost (pw: ****)

Hi,

Sorry im a newbie and i need help on how to get rid of this prompt. 

• nope to that log table ;-)
    if your db host, userid, pswd are all correct...
    (either you may have a corrupt table - which needs a "repair") or
    talk to your tech support -
    the mysql engine may have been down.

• Thanks for your reply. All settings should be correct. The site mostly is working, but seems to randomly throw this error out.  I'll look into the corrupt table possibility. Also I have contacted tech support. 

• If you see this error randomly, it means your server is maxing out the number of allowed connections to the database.

• What hosting are you using? Did you check your database for errors?

Rodolfo Hernandez
    Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Hmmm! Cash, are you saying it could be the host's server - which is webhostingpad?  They say it's not them and check connections settings.

The first thing I did was run repair database in and and got an all OK. Now, when in phpmyadmin I'm sometimes seeing mysql2002 error which says it's me. I've cleared cache on browsers, swithched machines. Not sure.

My knowledge falters.

• Did you recently delete spammers accounts? What hosting are you using?

Rodolfo Hernandez
    Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• There's enough techie tips posted above...that 2002 error has been seen many times before (usually on Cheap Shared Hosting)

(MySQL manual says) =>

The error (2002) Can't connect to ... normally means that there is no MySQL server running on the system or that you are using an incorrect Unix socket file name or TCP/IP port number... [ The last two should *not be the case on a paid Hosting Account].

All these point to a MySQL configuration issue.

Dhrup Chand
    (Apache / MySql Technician for the largest known Elgg Site in the World = FBFKids.Com)

• Thanks, Dhrup, this problem has just cropped up but cheap shared hosting is probably right. They say they can't replicate my problem on their end (fairly frequently can't connect to DB/error 2002). rj that would be webhostingpad. No, spam hasn't been a problem as my community is small and I have put up barriers such as site access with password and admin approval needed for registration.

Lately I updated to 1.7.7 and that seemed to go smoothly. How about: there is a plugin problem which I am still investigating by disabling and checking, .htaccess in root (Elgg in subdomain) and possible conflict, or hacked which I see no evidence of.

• Thanks, guys! Finally today things seem resolved. Can't break the site (yet). Host is fuzzy why the problem though. For those in the future it (can't connect to DB/mysql error 2002) does point to a MySQL configuration issue and does not appear to be caused by Elgg.

• 2002 *IS a MySql issue.. not "pointed to" ;-)