Getting Started Guide

Phil suggested adding a getting started guide to the Elgg documentation http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Main_Page. What should this cover?

• @ shillo

I'm not wishing to have or start a debate, just stating a fact. People with no knowledge or expertise either need, to work with elgg, to gather some (as I have had to) or will struggle until they have.

http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/What_is_Elgg

To run Elgg, you need to have your own web server and a certain amount of technical knowledge - or access to someone who does, like a system administrator.

• Dear phil, I too didn't have any such intention.

Reworded, it looks fine , especially the addition "to work with elgg, to gather some (as I have had to) or will struggle until they have". It describes the whole process -- beginning as a beginner and go and go on, picking a piece of code-hack from here, and helping out a less-informed person there ... 

Besides, I am fully aware that some Elggers like yourself spend hours here.

@ Cash

Thanks. Carlos or Dhrup has told me that. I feel it will be better if that part of the engine/settings.php file comes with a comment like "not implemented" or something to the effect, so that reckless people like me won't head into the 2-db temptation. LOL!

Cheers!

• hi.. good topic ... nice group.... please wake-up   :)

I sure that the documantation has improved greatly. I wish that the highly skilled elgg user, the ones that have no need for documentation will put some off their ime and effort into building a goodone.

Most comments above still aplly today .. almost two years after !!

Let's improve our community by rewriting and re-organizing the very important elgg guide  

• Hello, I am new to elgg. I just discovered about it and love it. It is a great tool. I have successfully installed it on localhost. I need help with customizing the front page, which is the page a user logs in or registers. I simply need a manual on how to change/add things around, before log in and after log in. Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thank you.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.