Migrating elgg to a new server

Can anyone provide pointers for migrating elgg to a new install on another server? I tried using the information found at (http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/How_do_I_move_my_site%3F#Search_and_replace_on_database_dump_file) only it doesn't work.

I have tried performing this after setting up a new elgg susyem using the setup Wizard and by editing the settings file directly. In both cases it's almost like elgg ignores these settings and creates new stuff anyway.

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks, John

• Cash, it ended up being a Windows Browser security issue, nothing more. Go Microsoft!!

• @Kib ;-O

aha !!!

do you mean IExporer ?

I suggest yuo use both IExplorer *and FireFox -- you never can tell what the comparision might tell you ;-)

• Yes, IExplorer is so annoying, especially with thay Enhanced Security program where you can't do anything :)

I am having a follow on problem guys.

I was able to fix the issues and get the app working correctly. So, my next setp was to test this externally, ultimately planning to chnage the DNS over the weekend from the old hosted to this new dedicated server. This new server is supposed to be fast, and it appears much much slower. My guess is caching? The biggest issue, however, is the spinning elgg logo on widgets. Everything else (screens) load, but these icons can be on the screen for over 30 minutes and not load.

Where can I look to resolve this?

:)

• Clicking "Edit" and making a change or two stops this behavior. Weird, any thoughts?

• you need to look at each widget 1 at a time, disable all widgets except 1 then when spinning - means that the 1 widget is not responding..

• Is this because the db thinks the widgets are installed prior to doing so? Meaning, since the db holds this infor, when I copied my plug-ins to the new mod directory, they were already enabled. So, I should disable all of them but the ones that come with the core, and then copy and enable?

Makes sense though.

• enabled via DB -- yes

keep the core plugins -- yes

enable one "bad:" widget -- then see / test

• Thanks Dhrup! Where can I whack entries in the db to prevent it from thinking it's there after the fact?

When I remove phpfreechat from the plug-ins and re-enable, it brreaks. So, I thought I would be slick and delete the table, still no dice. BTW, I will ask the author of the plug-in, but I am interested in general where the plug-ins are stored in the db.

• to remove plugin forcefully -- delete from /mod/whatever-plugin-to-delete then goto admin tools - bug-critter-plugin-with-16-legs => no longer there ;-)

• Hey !! , This is Abhishek can anybody suggest that i am facing same problem,  at migrating my local developed site in Elgg to FTP server. Can anybody suggest me proper step. Every image and registered users are showing but login and sign up is not functioning and giving error: The requested action (register) was not defined in the system.