Simplecache and theme development

Is there a way to disable this 'simplecache'?

I'm working on a theme and have to disable/enable it at every little change befor i can see the results - it's really annoying...

• Yes, there is a toggle on the site administration page.

I always keep it off for my development site.

• I'm certain simpleCache is a 'feature' of elgg v1.5 not a 'bug' lol ;;O

• It would also be good to have an admin toggle for the view cache for the same reason. Currently I need to run upgrade.php every time I add a new view to a plugin I am working on.

• Did you come out with any practical way to overcome this? It takes me much longer now to develoep themes and plugins.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Guy,

Why should it take you "much longer"?

As I explained, you can turn simplecache off.

You only have to run upgrade.php to update the view cache every time you add a *new* view php file (not update one, just add an entirely new one.)

So I see this as only a very minor irritation, not something that makes development take "much longer"!

• If this becomes a huge issue for you, I think that you could write a little plugin called

disable_view_cache

disable_view_cache_init containing the lines:

$cache = elgg_get_filepath_cache();

$cache->delete('view_paths');

Of course this would slow down your site significantly.

Please tell us if you try it.

• Hi Kevin,

I'm working with simple cache turned off by default. Let me give you a small example, just to make sure I fully understand your comment:

I've added the featured groups code snippet to my custom riverdashboard, this piece of code.

//featured groups
        $featured_groups = get_entities_from_metadata("featured_group", "yes", "group", "", 0, 10, false, false, false);   
        $area1 .= elgg_view("groups/featured", array("featured" => $featured_groups));

I expected to see this as part of my new customeriverdashboard immediatly. It only worked after I ran upgrade.php

In previous version, such changes where picked up immediatly. I also expected that without cache it will behave the same way in 1.5.

Is this what you mean?

• Just to clarify, Elgg has two kinds of view caching right now. simplecache caches core system CSS and JS, and the view_paths cache caches the file system location of the currently active view files. So if you add a new view file (or remove an old one), you need to update the cache.

But otherwise, no.