Advertising banners etc... to elgg

Hi everyone,

I am planning on building a music based social networking site with a twist, but I will need a way to monitise the site, and my plan is to provide some simple banner ads and/or some relevant google adsense space.

My question is has anyone set up banner ads on their elgg site? Is it easy to do? will it require some bespoke development? I have looked at other elgg deployments and it appears like it is possible.

Looking forward to your replies :)

Gene

• I have made some modifications that help you on adding Google AdSense, and a spot images, and also 4 up to 8 125x125 banner ads, check how to add advertisments to Elgg by upgrading to the ads custom-plugin version!  

And here is the ads custom-index plugin download page, hope this can help someone out there!

• @  DhrupDeScoop "ElggEX" idea is possible. Twizanex was able to design a Plugin for Openx and Elgg Ad intergration. With the Elggnex Plugin, the Elgg users and admin can create ads on Elgg site just as Facebook does without being redirected to Openx site or server. Everything -- I mean ads are done on Elgg site even better than Facebook. And then the user chooses the ads or the adverts dimension (Adverts --Length and width) they are interested to upload then chose the product they are willing to buy which is Clicks or Impressions. Then the Elgg users pay for the ads which are then approved by the admin. It is fun! Once the ad is activated by the admin, the Ads start running immediately... on  Elgg site :)

Once the ad is uploaded and approved, then Elgg_logout Plugin and some other Ad Plugins that I developed picks up the active ads and runs with them... I mean, the Ads are then diplayed on the Elgg site. It is fun how the codes work!

For more information, you can find the information on Twizanex :

• GeneintheUK , You dream is coming true. The Openx and Elgg intergration is on the testing mode. Follow the tread or updates on this link  http://community.elgg.org/discussion/view/1530770/elgg-ads-or-banners-plugin-for-elgg