Is Elgg the one for me?

Hi,

I'm about to start a project that will be kind of a group-based social network.

What I mean is that the community will be around groups of interest. Each registered user will be able to join any group (with the group admin's permission).

Each group will have a blog, an event calendar, etc.

Some options will be open to everyone, even non registered users (such as viewing the blog).

Other options will be available only to registered users (such as commenting in the blog).

And a few options will be available only to the group admin (such as deleting a blog entry).

Will Elgg be a wise choice for such a project?

• The standard Elgg plugins support a group forum, but not a group blog.

There may be a community-created group blog tool that would meet your needs - not sure.

• Would Elgg be good for a work enviroment for the employees where I will use it internally within an Intranet.?

• @kanika yes elgg would be just fine for employees

This is my site I'm working on menumonk.com/ds
    Overall elgg is easy but still have to work with it.

• Joe excuse me if im out of line, but I believe i am running the same template as you but for some reason my newest members photos arent showing up in IE and FF but yours are...? heres my url unitedrepsonders.com how did you do that?

• It took some time for the avatar to show on the frontpage. It still doesn't show a fake user I had created. By the way I had to figure out the site was spelled wrong. It's a good idea though. I'm now trying find which files to modify so to change wordings such as groups. Move some buttons to different places, etc... I wish there was better documentation. Anyone know?

• MenuMonk:

the docs are linked in the top menu of this site and there is quite a bit of information there. When people say that Elgg needs better documentation, I never quite know what they mean. I find it adequate. Do you mean that there is simply no information describing what you want to do, or that you can't understand the docs, or that they are not translated into your language?

• I would love to find a table of contents that tells me where each part of the site is saved. Such as footer - I had to search through folders and then the "view" folder under "pages" had a file called footer.php . So I was able to edit some stuff. But now I'm searching for the top menu bar that says - "dashboard" "setting" do you know where that is?overall I love the functionality of elgg and the concept.

• @Omar: Everyone have a different requirements & perceptions of what is a "good" social network system. Since Elgg is free, give a try yourself for a week or two, and you will know whether it's for you (from technical & usage perspective). There are other options as well like Boonex.com (Free/Paid), Kootali.com (Paid) and more. Good luck. :)