My Site Looks Truly Awful In IE?

Hi All,

Just curious as to how my test site can look so shocking in IE, when it's *unfortunately* still used as the largest browser market player and most widely used of them all?

The default elgg theme is all square, the size of the boxes, text headings and content seem well over sized compared to what I'm seeing in FF my main browser, so I am a little somewhat confused in need of a severe talking to by somebody in the know for the above reasonings please. :)

View Eco Share It in IE to see what I mean and then view it in FF if you would like to understand where I'm coming from.

Regards,

• The site is "all square"  because  IE does not support the round corner CSS feature.

I'm surprised by the font issue. I've not noticed a significant difference in IE with other sites.

• @ Kevin - Oooohhh thanks for the above reasoning.

I kind of feel down now though, knowing IE just doesn't support / handle rounded css features, as much as most of us on here more than likely adore non IE browsers, fact still remains average joe public visiting our elgg based sites as end users it's still 50%+ that will logon using IE *sighs*

So does everybody's look square, completely different to how it may look in other browsers then and I take it there's just no way around it / fix?

Maybe I should try to persuade visitor's to change browser to FF for example with a good case study of IE versus The Rest and a download button for FF, gosh that's put a right dampener on my evening and scares me somewhat too.

As first impressions count, they certainly won't if a user logs on with IE *wants to scream at MS, how lame can they be and behind the times*

Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated.

Regards,

• Hi Rob,

I don't think it's particularly objectionable in IE but it should be trivial to tame down the text size for IE users only using any number of IE specific style sheet hacks.
    I'm very new around here and haven't looked at any of the code but I've seen a "Themes" group so I assume there's an easy way for you to tweak another style sheet into place.
    I've just fired up the IE on this machine (IE7) and the font sizes are the same across FF3 an Google Chrome  (using Vista OS of some description) so you may be experiencing an IE6 specific issue. [or mebbe you're using a mac and IE!?]

Bottom line - if your users use IE7 they likely won't be put off with how your site looks - it's fine!

• Hi Rob.  I may be stating the obvious.  If so I apologize.  But IE7 (my version)  has a text size feature under the Page tab that Elgg responds to very nicely.  On my browser with the medium setting your site looks great, and is proportioned exactly as this Elgg site.  Depending on your screen resolution you may need setting it to smaller or smallest.  To me the square corners aren't a big deal.

• As to the round corners, came across this Elgg site in another discussion.  Apparently it can be done.  Maybe someone with programming experience can find out how they did it:

http://www.friendscafeonline.com/