Change group owner

How to change a group owner ?

• Hey there. I too have been wondering how to do this as well... One interesting thought is to check out your database in phpMyAdmin under the table "elggentities" (if your prefix is "elgg"). Browse in this table and find the group according to GUID number - Once you find it, if you go into edit mode, you'll notice that it has a field that says "owner_guid" and has the GUID number of the user who currently owns the group. I am not sure if this works correctly but you may be able to change this GUID number to the person you want to own the group. I just tried it on my own site and it appears to be working but there is probably a few other things that need to be done for the site to really work with it correctly. For example if you change the GUID number, it will show that the group owner is the person you changed it to, and they will also have ownership capabilities (i think), if you go to the group and look... However, if you login as the user that the group claims to be its owner, it won't show that this user owns the group when you go to Tools > Groups > Your Groups> Groups you own. Anyway, if you haven't had any luck with this - I hope this can be a starting point for you! Hopefully it isn't too terribly confusing for you.

• I think the formpluggin from kevin can make this.

• I'm currently editing the database directly (eek!) to accomplish this--changing the group owner's GUID to the preferred owner's user GUID.  We are planning a patch/plugin for this issue, but if there's a known-working solution, please let me know.

• As was said previously in this thread, the flexgroupprofile plugin (part of my form suite of plugins) includes this as a feature.

One slight wrinkle is that custom group icons are stored in the group owner's data directory. So if you change the group owner, you need to re-upload the icon if the group has a custom icon.

• Hi,

I'm just trying to use the rest api to dynamically generate groups. (elgg 1.6). Everything is ok but the $group->owner_guid. I noticed by reading this thread that there is obviously a bug. Any news about that ?

• Hey guys,

no need to bash your head around this since I've already been there (3 months ago) and submitted a patch for this exact issue to the Elgg Extensions Trac, though sadly not even a response...

Anyway, the patch is described and available here: http://trac.elgg.org/elgg/ticket/1130

Regards,
    Liran.