SLOW loading, missing images

My site loads EXTREMELY SLOW. My provider says the server is ok. I don't know why, I suddenly have problems. Any clues?

http://tools.pingdom.com/?url=www.paddlefriend.com&treeview=0&column=objectID&order=1&type=0&save=true

• my service was just shutoff for heavy resource usage.

• There were a few IMAP processes causing too much load on the server.

• IMAP :- EMail Server Program. If HostGator is using IMAP - your problems are most likely caused by Mass Emails going out. I warned about this server load... quite some time ago.

"

Disadvantages of IMAP

While IMAP remedies many of the shortcomings of POP, this inherently introduces additional complexity. Much of this complexity (e.g., multiple clients accessing the same mailbox at the same time) is compensated for by server-side workarounds such as maildir or database backends.

Unless the mail store and searching algorithms on the server are carefully implemented, a client can potentially consume large amounts of server resources when searching massive mailboxes. "

• they changed their story, it was my database queries on the homepage. I had too many apparently (150+) I had to strip most of my front page out. (for now)

• they changed their story, it was my database queries on the homepage. I had too many apparently (150+) I had to strip most of my front page out. (for now)

• High database hits are a fact-of-life with Elgg's Data Model. This aspect has been questioned an explained elsewhere before.

One big point for people to consider when using Elgg or any othet social networking pkg is that when membership grows to about 1000++ the typical $5 / month "unlmited" Hosting comany WILL kick you out regardless. E.G. Look at Malaga Jack's (free-to-join) FaceBookForKids. He's got 13,000 members and keeps growing almost exponentially. He pays $100-$150 / month for Hosting not $5 ;-( It was 11,000 members ~2 weeks ago when I migrated his userbase from v1.2 to v1.5

I know your HostGator pkg is *not $5/mth. However hosts do not mind normal high traffic with *static pages. It is usually the *processing* that gets them to become *mean and *unforgiving. High MySql database processing *will affect their *global Sql server *performance ... so they *will shut you out within about 24 hours.

I believe that the only way to trouble-shoot this and/or *profile the database access would be via the comment I made earlier "function execute_query($query, $dblink) ". Then maybe one can determine which areas/ plugins/ widgets need to be trimmed down as you have thus far done.

e.g.

function execute_query($query, $dblink)
            {
                global $CONFIG, $dbcalls, $DB_PROFILE, $DB_QUERY_CACHE;
                $dbcalls++;
                //if ((isset($CONFIG->debug)) && ($CONFIG->debug==true))
                $DB_PROFILE[] = $query;

===> insert logging to flat file code here - e.g. which page is executing, what table, date, time, etc
    ===> this will help identify potentially trouble spots that need trimming

$result = mysql_query($query, $dblink);
                $DB_QUERY_CACHE[$query] = -1; // Set initial cache to -1
                if (mysql_errno($dblink))
                    throw new DatabaseException(mysql_error($dblink) . " QUERY: " . $query);
                return $result;
            }

I have made similar debug code suggestions before on other problem situations, but no one seems to want to take the chance to debug their problems by taking my (free and expert) help.

BTW ;-)

not long ago, I had a (IBM database) project with some code that ran for 12 hours+ once a week. I trimmed it down to 20% of the code and about 15 minutes execution time LOL ;-O (Maybe I know something about Sql Code perfomance enhancement).

• High database hits are a fact-of-life with Elgg's Data Model. This aspect has been questioned an explained elsewhere before.

One big point for people to consider when using Elgg or any othet social networking pkg is that when membership grows to about 1000++ the typical $5 / month "unlmited" Hosting comany WILL kick you out regardless. E.G. Look at Malaga Jack's (free-to-join) FaceBookForKids. He's got 13,000 members and keeps growing almost exponentially. He pays $100-$150 / month for Hosting not $5 ;-( It was 11,000 members ~2 weeks ago when I migrated his userbase from v1.2 to v1.5

I know your HostGator pkg is *not $5/mth. However hosts do not mind normal high traffic with *static pages. It is usually the *processing* that gets them to become *mean and *unforgiving. High MySql database processing *will affect their *global Sql server *performance ... so they *will shut you out within about 24 hours.

I believe that the only way to trouble-shoot this and/or *profile the database access would be via the comment I made earlier "function execute_query($query, $dblink) ". Then maybe one can determine which areas/ plugins/ widgets need to be trimmed down as you have thus far done.

e.g.

function execute_query($query, $dblink)
            {
                global $CONFIG, $dbcalls, $DB_PROFILE, $DB_QUERY_CACHE;
                $dbcalls++;
                //if ((isset($CONFIG->debug)) && ($CONFIG->debug==true))
                $DB_PROFILE[] = $query;

===> insert logging to flat file code here - e.g. which page is executing, what table, date, time, etc
    ===> this will help identify potentially trouble spots that need trimming

$result = mysql_query($query, $dblink);
                $DB_QUERY_CACHE[$query] = -1; // Set initial cache to -1
                if (mysql_errno($dblink))
                    throw new DatabaseException(mysql_error($dblink) . " QUERY: " . $query);
                return $result;
            }

I have made similar debug code suggestions before on other problem situations, but no one seems to want to take the chance to debug their problems by taking my (free and expert) help.

BTW ;-)

not long ago, I had a (IBM database) project with some code that ran for 12 hours+ once a week. I trimmed it down to 20% of the code and about 15 minutes execution time LOL ;-O (Maybe I know something about Sql Code perfomance enhancement).

• Wow, there's a pretty big echo in here ;)

..retty big echo in here ;)

• when I'm sent code, I have no idea what to do with it. I'm no programmer. You send me some lumber and I'll build you a house.

• How do you test to see if simplecache is working. I had made some small changes to my site and seen them right away. don't you usually have to reload the plugins or run upgrade.php to force the changes into the cache? Maybe that is why my site is hitting the database 150 times when loading my homepage.