Problem with installation

Hello, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask - I've looked through the troubleshooting wiki and couldn't find anything that applies.

I'm having a problemwith installing elgg 1.5.

My server is a shared host using Linux, MySQL 5, and PHP 5.2.10.

Here's the problem: I have the database details entered.  When elgg asks for site details (site name, url, folders, etc.) and I click submit, I get a 404 error.  I suspect this is because the url that the submit button points at is written "/action/systemsettings/install" instead of "/action/systemsettings/install.php", but I can't determine which included file generates that button so I can't test out my thorey.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer.  Thanks!

• Try this (very simple solution)

.htaccess

# If you're not running Elgg in a subdirectory on your site, but still getting lots
    # of 404 errors beyond the front page, you could instead try:
    #
    RewriteBase /

• I'll try that if the reinstall doesn't solve things.  Thanks, Mercè

• Ok, if not I made my own log and perhaps any of those steps could help you. Anyway all of them are commented here by the experts.

• @Merce:- "buenas tardes!" ==> there are no "experts" here LOL ;-) only some people who speak elgg,  php, apache, js,  html better than their own language ;-)

• your .htaccess file has something like this?

RewriteRule ^action\/([A-Za-z\_\-\/]+)$ engine/handlers/action_handler.php?action=$1

RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2
    RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)\/$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2
    RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([A-Za-z0-9\_]+)\/$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2&type=$3&idname=$4

RewriteRule ^\_css\/css\.css$ _css/css.php

RewriteRule ^pg\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-]+)\/(.*)$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=$1&page=$2
    RewriteRule ^pg\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-]+)$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=$1

RewriteRule xml-rpc.php engine/handlers/xml-rpc_handler.php
    RewriteRule mt/mt-xmlrpc.cgi engine/handlers/xml-rpc_handler.php

RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)/?$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=search&page=$1

• LOL, don't know, I just deleted it. : )

I'm trying the reinstall now.  Almost done uploading.

• @Traq, you are popular, have many people waiting for your news ;-)

@Hi Dhrup! you are a professional programmer and I am a simple user ;-) big difference. By the way I am waiting for your "magic" ;-) commented, I know I asked something very difficult but...

• okay...

there was a .htaccess file before I reinstalled, now there is not.  there is a file named "htaccess_dist".

Also, getting the same problems.  Mercè, I'll try your .htaccess suggestion.  I'm assuming you place it in the root?

[edit]:

Nevermind, I found it.

.htaccess (the "something like this" part mrmagic asked about)

RewriteRule ^action\/([A-Za-z\_\-\/]+)$ engine/handlers/action_handler.php?action=$1

RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2
    RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)\/$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2
    RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([A-Za-z0-9\_]+)\/$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2&type=$3&idname=$4

RewriteRule ^\_css\/css\.css$ _css/css.php

RewriteRule ^pg\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-]+)\/(.*)$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=$1&page=$2
    RewriteRule ^pg\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-]+)$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=$1

RewriteRule xml-rpc.php engine/handlers/xml-rpc_handler.php
    RewriteRule mt/mt-xmlrpc.cgi engine/handlers/xml-rpc_handler.php

RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)/?$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=search&page=$1

###################################

I'm gonna uncomment the "RewriteBase / " line and see if that does it.  Thanks, guys.

• It worked.  Thanks!  Up and running.  Now I've just got to get some content and features... : )