Automated User Administration

Hello Everone,

One thing that happens frequently is that new registered users, are clueless on how a certain website works. Because they have the idea that they are in Facebook, they start posting all kinds of nonsense, tests, blank and useless groups.

So, there is the idea of creating a Visitor Role, or Read only Role, and it comes from the principle, that you have to earn your way around to be able to post, you have to observe a bit, and then gain access to posting.

So at the beginning, one user might have access only to having friends, and joining groups. Then later on, given access to do more things, but with the idea that this is not a cheap thing, so i'd rather make my submissions valuable.

This is they way in which we can prevent communities transforming into "Youtube comment by cursing program", or "Myspace gigantic nonsense archive for 10 year olds".

In this way, Elgg sites, would have much better content. For example, combining Karma points system, and letting users post after certain karma points would be a good example.

Regards,

Uddhava dasa

• It would be great to have a plugin for this (hint hint)...

• Vazco has a PlugIn called "Karma" which awards +/- points for doings things on an Elgg site. I believe it is mostly a "fun" PlugIn.. but it might be worth looking at, perhaps to extend it to do more realistic "monitoring", roles & permissions type of functions.. ( I think it is a commercial PlugIns he sells on ElggDev.Com )

• I have already contacted Mike @ Elggdev.com to do this, he's evaluating the possibilities.

It seems fairly easy by programming a last minute hook before rendering any pages that include TinyMCE, to check if your ranking allows posting or not, and then display a message. Probably something similar to what Marcus Pover did in his Trac Tags plugin

Regards,
    Uddhava dasa

• But to be really useful it should be configurable, in conjunction with a Roles plugin where the admin can specify the privileges and permissions allowed for each level of activity points.

Baba

• So that means, the really first step is to have a nice Roles plugin. A roles plugin was found in the SVN, but someone deleted it from there, it seems that its because they didn't want to share that. We really need to get in contact with the Curverider team, anyone able to reach them ?

Good thing i have a backup of the roles plugin.

Regards,
    Uddhava dasa

• I had to setup a Full SVN client in my computer, and now i can see all the historical changes, etc. Basically it was Dave who deleted the roles plugin. He used this legend:

removed roles as they are not ready for proper usage

Regards,
    Uddhava dasa

• By the way, the plugin is now available, if you like this idea.

We payed custom development to Vazco, and now he has released the Karma Rights plugin as a payed plugin.

Still not working for us, but take a look, you might find interesting if you like keeping good content on your site.

Regards,
    Uddhava dasa