theme problem in elgg 1.6

Hello everyone,

I am having problems adding themes to my elgg 1.6 site. I have tried adding themes after a site upgrade and also with a fresh install of elgg 1.6. The themes I have installed either come up with an incorrectly configured plugin error or they completely mess up the look of the site to the point where it is unusable. Do 1.5 themes not work properly with 1.6?

Thanks,

Sean

• There is an issue with 1.6 and themes,

I have tried several themes, chocolate2, template1,elggdark to name a few.

For all of these I had to re write the header.php for them to start to work,

The issue I am having after doing this is with the edit page on Profile/Dashboard and Mainpage widget.

Edit page, loads but unable to rearrange widgets.

Others are also seeing same issue, most if not all of edesignerz.net themes fail.

On the plus side Elgg 1.6.1 seems to be faster :) so that is something.

For me I need a way to fix this soon.  Thankyou.

Oh one theme I found that did work 1.6.1 was theme_simpleneutral and this theme did not have a header.php in its theme.

Any help much appreciated.

• think I found a fix, changed header.php and in js changed initialise_elgg.php https://trac.elgg.org/extensions/changeset/1044

file paths for change, root/mod/themefile/views/default/js/initialise_elgg.php

I used the initialise_elgg.php from the above link

File paths for header is root/mod/themefile/views/default/page_elements/header.php

which you can change for root/views/default/page_elements/header.php of your 1.6.1 version.

well at least it seems to be working for me, will let you know if I run into any more issues.

• Hi 
    I am having problems with the simple cache and 1.6.1 
    As soon as i enable the simple cache, i have problems with the left menu in the Group view

--------------------------------------------------------------

Cache off 
    MEUNUOK

• Edit Gruop,
    • invite friends
    • gruop blog
    • gruop`bookmark
    •  grop calendar
    •  etc

Cache on
    WRONGMENU

• Create a new group
    • Groups you own
    • your groups
    • all site groups

The first menu I see after editing a grup is the correct one (MENUOK). After that if I make a               refresh ,        I return to the generic menu ( WRONGMENU)

note: Ive test also with the filepath cache (turning on and off) , but no problem with that.

Any idea?

jbroide

• @Brett : "recommend not overriding header.php..."

...we just lost a day to find out that the new 1.6.1 header is not compatible with the 1.5:( It breaks all our jquery stuff on our new dedicated server...

After 6 hours of digging, we found compatibility issues between jquery 1.3 / 1.7.2ui and  us.slider ...

Changing the slider parameters did the trick:        

animate : true,        minValue: 0,        maxValue: 300,        //handle is now fixed to '.ui-slider-handle' / div change

• I, too, have noticed that a good many Themes are broken under 1.6.

@Kiwi Any change we can have a walk through on what needs to be done to repair a theme so that it functions correctly under the new version of Elgg? I've been trying to tweek Simple Neutral and Simple Blue White for awhile now.

Thanks!

• Betty Jones

To get a compatible 1.6 template from 1.5 version, there are just two steps to make them work with elgg 1.5 properly.

1. Replace the mod/your_theme/views/default/page_elements/header.php from template mod folder with the original header.php from views/default/page_elements/header.php

2.  if JS folder is avialable at you theme folder in directory, mod/your_theme/views/default/js/

then replace all the files with the files from

views/default/js/,  means copy all the files from this folder and paste into your theme's js folder.

All the problems will be solved and theme will run smoothly with the Elgg1.6

Happy Editing............

• Thanks Betty, that looks much much better - only there is still an issue with the Dashboard or Elgg Toolbar once someone tries to sign in. Does anyone else have this problem? It's as if the Settings, Administration, and other top Dashboard links are overlapping one another - they stop behaving the same as they did when the default theme is active.

My test site is here:

http://www.Non-Productive.com/networktestsite/

You can try seeing for yourself with

Username: Test

and

Password: password

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for your quick reply thus far!

Frank

• It appears your site is the Simple Neutral Theme. If so, we have upgraded from 1.5 to 1.6 and then 1.6.1 and have had no problems at all. We don't use any fancy plugins, just izap video, tidypics, SiteAccess, which we're not now using cause it's broken with 1.6. We've not had to make any mods to the theme, although we have done css work. Otherwise it's right out of the box.

• You're right, Ron, we're using the Simple Neutral Theme, but for us we needed to switch the js directory and aspects of the default header, as Betty suggested above, and we still have that issue with the Top Bar.

Anyone else have a suggestion or can confirm a similar error in converted themes?