elgg on a Mediatemple.com (gs) account

Just for the record, Mediatemple (which is my perfered host) has released MySQL 5.1.26 on new (gs) accounts.  However, elgg is still not campatible.  Please see the support response below:

* PHP 5.2+ needs to be installed as an Apache module (not in CGI mode or safe mode) with the following libraries: 

Our PHP version must run as FastCGI Mode on the (gs) Grid Server, and cannot be compiled on the server like your requirements recommend. You can confirm all this by reading your PHP 5 info page: http://s61692.gridserver.com/gs-bin/phpinfo.php5

Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a (dv) account ... (sigh)

• Dan Knauss is the person to contact on this. He had a blog post on using MT.

• @antifmradio

I have actually upgraded to a (dv) account, and after some cartwheels and splits in telnet, I got elgg to work.  I did  switch over to a new (gs) account a few weeks back, but couldn't get elgg to work - even with the php and mySQL updates - they still run in FastCGI mode.  That being said, I understand you might be able to tweak the htaccess to make it work with FastCGI.

• So far so good on my (dv) account.  (MT) has serveved me well. 

• Served me well too ... geesh, we need spellcheck enabled on tinymce.  :)

• David,

I'm on a Media Temple DV account and keep getting the data folder not writable error. Did you do anything specific that may fix that?

Thanks.

• Greetz,  So has anyone got elgg running on (GS) account?

• es I finally made it! on (gs) Mediatemple, this is how:

1. upload folder of elgg and create a DB in MYQL 5. Mediatemple has active Apache CGI and Mod rewrites so is ready for Elgg!!

2. Do not go to browser yet.

3. Go to . htaccess inside elg folder and delete all replace for this code: ( notice that all info about php 4 is deleted!. The error was that even you have on your admin account to update to php 5, this scripts detects php 4 and get an error )

# Elgg htaccess directives # Copyright Curverider Ltd 2008-2009 # License http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html GNU Public License version 2 # Link http://elgg.org/ <IfModule !mod_rewrite.c> # ugly ugly hack to detect missing mod_rewrite # RedirectMatch must be to an absolute destination, so forces 500 error... ErrorDocument 500 "Elgg error: Apache does not have mod_rewrite loaded. Please check your Apache setup." RedirectMatch 302 .* index.php </IfModule> <Files "htaccess_dist"> order allow,deny deny from all </Files> # Don't listing directory Options -Indexes # Follow symbolic links Options +FollowSymLinks # Default handler DirectoryIndex index.php # Turn on expiry <IfModule mod_expires.c> ExpiresActive On ExpiresDefault "access plus 10 years" # php 5, apache 1 and 2 <IfModule mod_php5.c> # default memory limit to 64Mb php_value memory_limit 64M # to make sure register global is off php_value register_globals 0 # max post size to 8Mb php_value post_max_size 8388608 # upload size limit to 5Mb php_value upload_max_filesize 5242880 # hide errors, enable only if debug enabled php_value display_errors 0 </IfModule> # Turn on mod_gzip if available <IfModule mod_gzip.c> mod_gzip_on yes mod_gzip_dechunk yes mod_gzip_keep_workfiles No mod_gzip_minimum_file_size 1000 mod_gzip_maximum_file_size 1000000 mod_gzip_maximum_inmem_size 1000000 mod_gzip_item_include mime ^text/.* mod_gzip_item_include mime ^application/javascript$ mod_gzip_item_include mime ^application/x-javascript$ # Exclude old browsers and images since IE has trouble with this mod_gzip_item_exclude reqheader "User-Agent: .*Mozilla/4\..*\[" mod_gzip_item_exclude mime ^image/.* </IfModule> ## Apache2 deflate support if available ## ## Important note: mod_headers is required for correct functioning across proxies. ## <IfModule mod_deflate.c> AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/css text/javascript application/javascript application/x-javascript BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.[0678] no-gzip BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip <IfModule mod_headers.c> Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary </IfModule> # The following is to disable compression for actions. The reason being is that these # may offer direct downloads which (since the initial request comes in as text/html and headers # get changed in the script) get double compressed and become unusable when downloaded by IE. SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI action\/* no-gzip dont-vary SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI actions\/* no-gzip dont-vary </IfModule> # Configure ETags <FilesMatch "\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|mp3|flv|mov|avi|3pg|html|htm|swf)$"> FileETag MTime Size </FilesMatch> <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine on # If Elgg is in a subdirectory on your site, you might need to add a RewriteBase line # containing the path from your site root to elgg's root. e.g. If your site is # http://example.com/ and Elgg is in http://example.com/sites/elgg/, you might need # #RewriteBase /sites/elgg/ # # here, only without the # in front. # # If you're not running Elgg in a subdirectory on your site, but still getting lots # of 404 errors beyond the front page, you could instead try: # #RewriteBase / RewriteRule ^action\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-\/]+)$ engine/handlers/action_handler.php?action=$1 RewriteRule ^services\/api\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-]+)\/(.*)$ engine/handlers/service_handler.php?handler=$1&request=$2 RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2 RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)\/$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2 RewriteRule ^export\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([A-Za-z]+)\/([A-Za-z0-9\_]+)\/$ services/export/handler.php?view=$1&guid=$2&type=$3&idname=$4 RewriteRule ^\_css\/css\.css$ _css/css.php RewriteRule ^pg\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-]+)\/(.*)$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=$1&page=$2 RewriteRule ^pg\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-]+)$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=$1 RewriteRule xml-rpc.php engine/handlers/xml-rpc_handler.php RewriteRule mt/mt-xmlrpc.cgi engine/handlers/xml-rpc_handler.php RewriteRule ^tag/(.+)/?$ engine/handlers/pagehandler.php?handler=search&page=$1 </IfModule>

5. Save it.

6. Edit your setting in engine/settings.example. php  and rename it to settings.php 

inside enter manually your info of the Database you have created. replace "localhost" by  "internal-db.yournumberhere.gridserver.com"

7. That its! now go to your url site of Elgg

8. Data folder you have created may get an error saying that this folder "It is s not writtable", even you have it in CHMOD 755 or 777!, to avoid this create a news data folder out of your html where Elgg is, and at the Settings windows use a complete  url appears such as:

The full path to the directory where uploaded files will be stored, followed by a trailing slash: my case was...
    /nfs/c04/h03/mnt/····/domains/yoursite.org/html/data/
    you can get this root from the url that appears as The full path to your site root on your disk, followed by a trailing slash  and edit the final / to your destination Data folder.
    otherwise if your made this: yoursite.org/data/ simple wont work.

Thats it you have Elgg running at Mediatemple Grid server !!
    Enjoy!!