how to archive a site? or create a new one without losing the old info?

I am a teacher.  I have a new class this year.  I want to set up a new elgg site for my new class that is not connected with the old one.  But I still want the old class to have access.  Do I need to create a new database and start again from scratch?

I see that the next version will have multisite capability.  And I see a beta available but it looks tough to set up.  I was a little unclear about the instructions.

Suggestions?

• The next version of Elgg will not have multisite capability.  The current implementation of multisite is a plugin provided by a 3rd party and not officially supported in core.

As for the best way to proceed, it sounds like the best way would be to create a new installation on a different serve name (or subdirectory) for your new class.

As a non-technical aside (and to let my inner teacher escape a bit), why not allow both classes to share the same installation?  A few teachers using Elgg were pleasantly surprised when different classes began interacting with each other on the same installation, sharing ideas, answering questions, and generally being friendly.  It's a great opportunity for cross-disciplinary teaching and spontaneous learning!

• Cheers.  

In fact, last year's class doesn't really contribute much anymore.  They just pop in to find bookmarks they left and the odd thing.  but so much time and effort went into it, I want to archive it so it is still available.  I don't want to trash it.  But I want a fresh install for the new group.  And that way, the whole site is a collaboration from the start with this group.