Promised 1.7 Release. Where? When? Who? Stop lie!

As stated above, I found project management terrible, ugly and at least uneffective - nobody can build real plan, nobody can accomplish tasks within the period established by plans, nodody can arrange tasks to the correct priorities.

Elgg selection was my mistake - it's bad place for serious business. If Curverider want to lost global multilanguage market - they got it and they will remain in the children's pants of Western Europe and will continue to play with "formatting rules", broken communications, the satisfaction of its own Ego, producing the deceptive impression

• @Alexander, you are correct about one thing, Hell is damned.  That's why it's called Hell.  Why don't you clean yourself up, go out for a nice meal and relax.  Or better yet, take a trip to Ukraine and we'll fix you some borsch.  That'll make you a happy man.  :-)

We all are chomping at the bit, to have this 1.7 come out, along with all of the desperately needed plugin updates that will follow.  But, we need to keep a positive outlook here.  What's in the making will be great and we all are depending on it.

• I see in the SVN, there have been A LOT of updates in the extensions and a lot of updates were posted to the core, only 45-46 hours ago.  This indicates to me that they may be going through some final testing and releasing the 1.7 beta or stable very soon.  Just a guess.  Hope I'm right!

• If anyone wants to follow the progress on the core development, try: http://trac.elgg.org/elgg/timeline (you do need to create an account in trac and login to see that page).

A lot of good work has gone into Elgg 1.7. There won't be new features but the core should have a lot less bugs. Good news for developers. There are still some significant bugs that need to be fixed before we even start talking about a release candidate.

The Curverider developers have been busy with http://elggcampus.com/ lately.

Another place to get news on Elgg is http://twitter.com/elgg

• Thank you for this post, Cash!  Communication is key!  We all need to hear more from you and Brett and Dave, about progress.  Most people, if they don't see news here on the main site, don't believe progress is real.  So, keep that in mind!  :-)

• Just as a reminder, I do not work for Curverider so please consider everything that I say regarding releases and such as unofficial. Information on who works for Curverider here: http://www.curveriderhq.com/about.php

• Cash, I appreciate you being so proper about this, but we do appreciate some insight from you, into what is happening!  :-)

• I don't contribute code, but I am putting real dollars in getting some unique plugins built. I do not think they will be free of charge, but will certainly reasonable once fully tested on my sites. I would say the Elgg world is about to explode and soon. The hard work of Brett, Cash and team on 1.7 coupled with the effort to update plugins will be baring fruit very soon, at least if I have anything to do with it!!

William

• Why isn't anyone getting what Alexander is saying?

What he said in his post is quite the norm in the Development BUSINESS. Hell, I've seen more words flying and more vicious debates taking place in meetings, and despite the vigorous nature of the talk, they often generate solutions. So what if he says that Elgg Management is totally Fucked?? It's a feedback. And, if it is fucked, then surely it needs to be corrected, and it can be. I understood the what Alexander was saying, and yes I agree that Elgg, as an open SN Project, in its entirety not just code, is lacking in a number of areas. Essentially, what I would say is you could have a powerful code, a high number of users, thousands of mods, plugins and 3rd party scripts.. yet, if you do not have a strong business module in a strong foundation to support it all, then it will fail. This is not rocket science, this is what they teach you in business school on the first day of the first semester, yeah?

This is not about the Elgg team skills? Far from it, this is about management and development concepts. From his post, I would say he probably comes from a Project Management Background and he can detect the things that go beyond the code on the page. I think Curverider should capitalise on this and ask Alexander what, in his opinion is the problem and whether he has any input in improving the overall project direction, development and implementation.

Ok so the project has problems, so what!.. I probably screwed more things than the ones I succeeded with, we probably all have. Question is: how do we move forward and how do we make this young project get on the proper track of growth. If it does hid in the right direction, there is no reason for why it shouldn't be the number 1 SN in the world.

-Carlos

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.