Question about "Elgg Pricing"

I just stumbled across the Elgg Pricing page at http://elgg.com/pricing.php and have a question.

Is this something new, or something that has always been there?

I thought Elgg was completely open source. In particular, I thought that according to the license that anything that is offered in a distribution had to be made available to everybody. So I was confused by paid-for self-hosted licenses that appear to have more features than the free community version. 

Can somebody please clarify this for me.

Thanks,

doug

• @Cash you are missing the point here

they are plugins for sale

Elgg On-Site includes all these extra plugins (Or have they confused me ) and it is self hosted so yes they are plugins for sale

• No, they are not. They are selling services, not plugins. There is a difference.

• OK explain what elgg-on-site is if they are not including these plug-ins with this then what actually are they asking you to pay for If this is not the case they need to make it a little clearer

• With service contracts like these (which are extremely common in the enterprise market), service providers handle installations, upgrades, support, training and so on. 

• So then elgg.com will install elgg-onsite for $12 dollars on my server, pretty cool. And with these new plugins.  that's a heck of a deal. So where do I sign up.

My original questions have still not been address I don't want them to be forgotton

re

1. The number of, name of and functionality of these new elgg plug-ins

2. Are these plugins, open-source or encripted/diasbled somehow?

3. What licence do they carry ?

• You missed the K there - that is $12,000 a year. And the reason I'm not addressing your questions is that all the information that I know related to them is available on the elgg.com website.

• OH! elgg on my face (ER I meant egg) I missed that K, you are right. (I guess $12,000 a year, never, ever, ever, occurred to me ) , wow expensive rent for a few plug-ins I'll have to save my pennies.

So just to clarify, I can rent these plugins, but it will cost $12000.00/year

P.S. We have DB and server techs that can fix the 2 minute posting lag on this site

• I have a (hopefully minor) followup question on this.

Not that I was thinking of doing this - but just for clarification...

Under the MIT license are we allowed to create our own Elgg version (like the Enterprise version) with extra features and sell it without distributing the source to everybody? 

Again, I'm not thinking of doing this. I'm just curious about how that works, license-wise.

The company I do work with has some software and I'm actually curious if we would be better off (greater market, etc.) if we open-sourced it.

Thanks,

doug

• @  Dave et al, good for you all.  If you can make a business for others wanting elgg platforms to run their networks it can only benefit the open source useres (I hope) with development, knowledge and technical filter down. 

There are always businesses out there who want to rent/lease or hire services rather than buy or develop themselves... I find it strange that some people do not understand this... an open source malaise perhaps?

• @Mark No one here seems to be confused about paying for open source and or services, there is nothing in this discussion criticising the payment or model or concept of this. As Peter M states there seems to be enhanced code  what I have been referring to as rightly or wrongly as plugins.

@Dave the confusion I am at least getting is not with the services or the paid/rent bit but the difference in the listing on the Pricing page between the community edition of elgg and the other 3 models. Re specifically, the community edition does not include (whoops I have just Just checked and it seems you have since Peter M brought up this discussion, ticked the last 4 boxes) This now makes this whole discussion pointless, You could have at least pointed this out as it has been done within the last 12 hrs