Is 1.7 really that different in performance? What other benefits?

I have just re-started two test sites back to 1.6.1, as it seems plugins for 1.7 are off in the "indeterminate future". I was intially encouraged to dive in 1.7 by some, now many are telling me it could be months before we see a "site acess" an "elgg chat" a "profile manager" or any other one plugin we may need.

That's greatly beyond my control, but I seriously encourage everyone to get a thread opened to at least see who is upgrading what plugins.

By my calculations (just watching the reload time) 1.7 is blazing fast compared to 1.6.1. In fact, I get tired of playing with Tidy Pics in 1.6.1 in a few minutes, meaning I don't even like my own website! Now if I don't like it, what does that mean to my potential users? Tidy Pics seems to have real problems uploading blank photos in 1.6.1, not in 1.7!! Blazing fast and no blank boxes!

I have now had significant back to back comparisons of 1.6.1 and 1.7 on my PHP "loaded" server and I simply will not launch a 1.6.1 site as user ready for anyone with anything but DIAL UP speed!

Someone wake me up when there are plugins updated for 1.7!!!!!!!!!!

• BTW, before you call me out and saying "wake me up" as in I don't want to contribute, I actually plan to contribute much more by sponsoring plugins from any number of developers, but only once I have a basic site up and running for the sponsor money I have already spent in the form of a screaming fast 1.7 site.  So yes, wake my up because I don't code, but I will test and I will spend money on development for 1.7 plugins when I see it actually happening.

• Hi Billy!  Good skiing I see... no broken limbs and all that :) I am with you on this... I have decided that, apart from the most minor tweaks to things, I'll have to get others to do the hardcore stuff.  I wish I had more money to throw at it, but hay ho!  I am a patient guy (sometimes!)... although I'll love the fabled 1.7 speed boost when I can get it myself!

• Just to be clear: nothing specific was done in 1.7 to improve performance.  Any perceived performance increases are likely due to server load fluctuation or configuration changes.

• Okay boys, I am ready to a live test and I need everyone's help! I just found this site Pingdom.com tried it for fun.

I have two fresh installs (today) of 1.6.1, can I keep one, or do I need to wipe them both to be fair?

here is my plan tell me if this works for you. I load all stock plugins and activate. I load the latest today tip pics. I make two larger photo albums of the same photos and time the upload time,noting any errors.

Then I try them download using pingdom with reports?

This sound okay?

Bill

• Okay first results back from the 1.6.1 instakk all stock plugs with TidyPics.

Ist test at 13.4 seconds and 2nd 12.1 on cleared cache Photo Album main page using pingdom.com URL tester.

Coming up in a few 1.7b install same parameters, same photo albums same test. I have no idea what will happen......back later.

B

• Okay I have some intial results. This testing should be done in a more controlled manner. My intial results with pingdom.com show the loading of the same photo album 8 pics, half around 400k half around 2-3 megs. Same pics. I cleared the cache each time and used pingdom.

Elgg 1.6.1 1st try 13.4 seconds 2nd try 12.1 seconds

Elgg 1.7b 1st try 7.7 seconds 2nd try 8.2 seconds

It seems really obvious to me when playing with these two exact installs on my server the 1.7b simply screams compared to 1.6.1 with stock plugins and TidyPics 1.6.5.

I COULD HAVE THIS WRONG! It needs to be tested, but 1.7b moves so fast on the screen it hurts my eyes and I like that!! Elgg has been three things to me for 12 months now;

#1 Intriguing

#2 Clunky!

#3 Ugly as sin!

The problem is it has been way more "intriguing" than #2-#3!! It;s a love/hate thing. It always seemed clunky and I have dreamed and dreamed it would speed up. Well it seems like it has!! The ugly part we can handle if we can get the "clunky" days behind us, we are on to something. Just like size, speed matters!! I am not building websites for kids, but for business. In a world where know how fast THEIR connection is, and damn if they will wait for my server!

I suggest each and every one of you, if I am correct, DROP what you are working on and get your ass moving on 1.7b NOW, unless you can prove I am wrong, Cash and Brett have broken this thing wide open and there "aint no waitin"! This project has been a pig with lipstick on it until now!

This is it! 1.7 is it unless I just got weird numbers tonite and my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Sh*&^can 1.6.1, 1.5, 1.0. .9, .5. 02 and .0001!!! Good bye!!

Bill

• Bill, kick them in the a** and get them moving!

• Well I woke uo this morning, moved a few of Vazco's plugins around and I can't beleive my eyes!!

This is where I have dreamed of being! 1.7 is running fasy and clean, Vazco mainpage is up with a few minor glitches, the map is screaming fast, Dalsem just updated Profile Manager (which seems to be working great!), and I can only say I finally feel like I am at square one. I have been so close to giving up! It is not easy to wait and wait to actually get you dream started, and I just finally feel like it's time to let it rip!

Sorry I jumped on this whole issue, but I just cannot beleive that I am the only person who saw Elgg as clunky and buggy and yet with so much potential!

Bill

• <Dalsem just updated Profile Manager (which seems to be working great!),>

Interested to know. How does one find out about these updates.  I don't see it posted anywhere. Did I miss something?

Oh and TahoeBilly - you are not alone.