Problem with IE 8

I am really bummed out. Had my system all set to start adding users and found we had a problem with IE. User can register, get validation email and click on the email link to go to page but when they try to login nothing happens. There is no message and no login. It looks as though the page has reloaded and no login occurs.  I disabled all the plugins to see where the problem started but can't find it. Now with almost no functionality (because of disabled plugins) still no login. Everything works perfectly in Firefox and Chrome but most of my audience has a computer they can barely use with all default factory settings, meaning they almost all use IE. I thought this might be a known glitch so I'm asking about it before giving up.  I thought at first it was just a problem with the cache or having forgotten to log out but it happens even when I try it on a new computer. Thanks for any help.

• Thank you folks I think we finally have it. It seems to be working fine now. Now let's see if I can get back to where I was before I got derailed by this. 

Thanks so much to all. (I love the spirit of open source code and coders)

• Yeah I too am having a login problem with IE8,  just can't login at all - have tried most of the suggestions here but nothing seems to work.

my site is in a subdomain and all redirections to www. were done via Cpanel.  I have tried altering .htaccess but then the site went white apart from saying main/500 (main is the name of the subdirectory folder)

I added the address in .htaccess here:

# If Elgg is in a subdirectory on your site, you might need to add a RewriteBase line
    # containing the path from your site root to elgg's root. e.g. If your site is
    # http://example.com/ and Elgg is in http://example.com/sites/elgg/, you might need
    #/sites/elgg/
    RewriteBase http://www.theartssite.com/main/
    #
    # here, only without the # in front.

Just wondering if anyone could help - I'm pulling my hair out here! :)

Thank you for any help

• Hi there,

I had the same problem with IE8 as described above (plus a few other people on my floor). I am hosting Elgg, tried all the nifty recommendations (thanks ;)   But this didn't really fix the issue. However, at the same time we were using Google Wave which requires an Add-on, ie the ChromeFrame extension in IE8.

When I disabled the chromeframe add-on in IE, my problems were gone and when I enabled the add-on I had them back. Just wondering if anybody still has this problem and whether disabling chromeframe did help you.       

Cheers

• If none of those tricks work, and if you have this problem in multiple browsers, check to see if your email validation is disabled.  If it's disabled and the user has just registered, they can't log in. 

• I am having the same issues listed about users can register, but cannot login in any Internet explorer version.  i have my site files on my home web server, but my domain hosting is with an online web hosting company. I forward my doain to the url on my computer, and i use their stealth option in order to hide my ip address in the address bar, so my useres will see the domain name. my site works in firefox and in google chrome, but i cannot log in in internet explorer. the only way that i could log into my website in internet explorer was by clicking Tools-Internet Options-Privacy and sliding the cookies settings from the default medium settings to the lowest settings that Accepts All cookies, and then I was able to log in. i don't want all of my users that vistit my site that use internet explorer to have to do that. My question is, what is it in the elgg cookie settings that makes internet explorer reject logins?