Using Another Plugin as a Start Problem

Hi, I am trying to make a new plugin that will start off quite similar to the reported Content, but will eventually be much more. 

I have tried to copy the reported_content and changed the name of the folder to featured_content

This allows the plugin to be enabled in the Admin Menu, but where the Link in the sidebar should appear, it doesn't. 

Is there anything else I need to change.

(I originally chanced every occurance of report/reported to feature/featured and the exact same problem exsists, it is possible - by editing the URL to see the correct views for the new plugin, and the functionality is there, I just cant see the orignal link)

Thank you

• preface: I hate it when people don't answer you question and say things like "why are you doing that?" or "Why are you using Java, C++ is much better" as if they knew more about your context then you do.  That being said...

I've come to realize that this isn't the way to go to develop your first plugin.  There are just too many weird things going on behind the scenes.  So the answer to your question is: "Who knows?".  There are so many places that could potentially be problems, and that may or may not be used in your plugin...

Changing the name of a plugin can cause problems (not exhaustive):

- With many links inside your code
    - With any list searching for an object/type file
    - Any checks against contexts may be faulty
    - Your code can actually be calling stuff from the original plugin without your knowledge

It's a toughy to say the least...

-I_Artist

P.S. Now I hate people that answer your question with "I've come to realize..."  Cheeky bastards, who do they think they are?? :)

• A better way would be to get @costelloc's lovely Elgg Developer Tools plugin (http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/costelloc/read/384962?release=293978) and use the plugin generator to build out your code from it.

You probably won't get it right in the first go, or even many subsequent attempts, but once you get it right 90% of Elgg is a pleasure to develop with.