Problems after upgrade to 1.7

Hi guys,

I've been using Elgg to run my website for about a year now. I recently upgraded to 1.7, and am now experiencing some problems. Many things aren't working, and I don't want to risk having any issues as the site increases in size.

Here are some of the problems that I have encountered after the upgrade: users aren't able to update their profiles, or view other members, and I'm not able to access the users administration to even see what's going on.

I've checked the database for users without a name, and there doesn't seem to be any problem there. As for the other issues, I have had to disable the view members toolbar, and am not usre what to do about users being unable to fill out their profiles.

So far this site has just been a hobby of mine. So, please tell me if there is something you can do to help me out with it. 1.6 was running very good, although a bit slow. I really wish I hadn't upgraded.

• Hi John,

As I mentioned in another thread you started, if you are using non-core plugins, there is a good chance that they haven't been upgraded to Elgg 1.7. You should never upgrade your site to a new software version until you are sure that all the plugins you need have been upgraded and installed as well.

You should never upgrade without keeping a backup copy of your old site as well. You did make a copy, didn't you? If so then you should probably revert.

• Well, for some reason I can't seem to find my backup. I really don't want to have to reinstall the whole site. I've already built up a considerable user base.

Somehow, I wonder if the problem  is related to tidypics. I know there was an image that was uploaded and was floating around unassociated with an album. Any ideas?

• Just ask your hosting company to restore your site from one of the back-ups, from a few days ago.

• @johnsmith - you already brought this up in another thread and Kevin told you what was wrong. You have upgraded to 1.7 but not all of your plugins support 1.7. Elgg 1.7 is enforcing a security feature that has been around since 1.5 but not all plugin developers have implemented it. Specifically, you seem to be using a profile plugin that is not ready for 1.7. You could turn off that plugin and wait for it to be updated. Otherwise, you need to update the plugin so that it has the proper security token code.