Disable Edit Profile for other Users

So this seems like something that should be very basic however i have not found a way to do this

The EDIT PROFILE button should only be available for your own profile, right now it seems that by default any one can edit anyone elses account, change anyone's icon etc

Seems to me that EDIT PROFILE should only be available for you and disabled for everyonbe else's profile

any simple way of doing this?

EDIT: this really does seem to be such a basic thing (having everyone edit everyone else's profile sorta makes the whole social network pretty useless), but still have not found it or any article on how to change this default setting :(

• Try editing someone elses profile and you will see what ACTUALLY happens... er by that I mean try editing someone elses profile when you are a normal user not an admin. Nearly all programs like ELGG allow the admin to edit any users profile so they can keep out the crap, expletives, spam etc.

• hmm I've been trying it all day

I login as any random user, go to any other random user's profile, and edit THEIR profile . Not as an admin, but just as a regular joe schmo user, i can edit their name, put a little about info on their page, etc

It just does not seem like a good piece of functionality to have in there if any user can just go in and change everyone else's first name to Cupcake :) (or probably something much worst)

EDIT: This also applies to their profile icon, which once more can just be edited by any other user

• You have something seriously wrong with your setup...

• Just a straight up , default install , have no really done anything yet, this was one of the first things i have noticed

Version 1.7 - if that matters

• No you have definately mucked things up somewhere if indeed they are actually happening the way you claim they are.

• This could only happen if you are using an admin account or possibly have installed a rogue plugin with a badly implemented canEdit permissions check over-ride.

Have you installed anything other than the default plugins?

• Hi Kevin and Jede

first of all, I'm at least happy to find out this is not "default" behavior.

I can't think of any plugin installed which can cause this, i only have pretty standard stuff enabled

I'm going to try and simply re-install Elgg 1.7 and see if this reoccurs

Appreciate the responses (i figured there was something VERY wrong somewhere)

• Although members cant edit others profile, they should not see the link edit. Its better to hide the link for members. Is there any aim of letting the link visible ?