Any way to remove GUID from Groups URL

Right now,

the groups URL is like .../pg/groups/GUID/GroupName/...

is there any way to omit that GUID?  I know the groupprofile.php needs the GUID to get the Group Entity. Is there any function to get the Group Entity from just GroupName? Maybe something new in 1.7?

• Group names are not unique so the guid needs to be in the URL (or a plugin added to ensure group names are unique).

• Cash,

Thanks for your reply...i understand that Group names need to be unique. In my plugin, the group name will be unique..and only created by Admin.  How would i go about getting the Group entity..from only the Group name..is there any way?  or do you have any other suggestion?

• Cash,

I was trying to get something similar for Group Bookmarks URL...Again, if the Group Name is UNIQUE..how would i get something like pg/bookmarks/groupname/items...instead of pg/bookmarks/group:GUID/items...just makes it more SEO Friendly.

• Orion9,

This seems like a lot of work for not much payback, but the way to do it for groups would be to over-ride the groups page handler like this:

// Register a page handler, so we can have nice URLs

register_page_handler('groups','myplugin_groups_page_handler');

and then rewrite the groups_page_handler function to calculate the group_guid from the name rather than extracting it from the $page structure.

Make sure your plugin is ordered after groups and it should work.

You can do something similar for bookmarks.

• Kevin,

Any idea how you would go about calculating the Group_Guid from the name?  All the examples i have looked at already know the GUID...but is there a function to go from Groupname->GUID?

Thanks for your help.

• My situation is exactly opposite.
    Because my community are mostly non-English users, so I want to remove the groupsname form URL.
    It seems easy, which files should I to modify?

• search for the function groups_url() in the group's start.php - remove the title there

• Got it. Thanks, Cash.