I need to change my username for the main admin account

I made my username my fullname and don't want that as it shows when people click on my profile...etc.  How do I change this?  

• You cannot change your username in Elgg, so you would have to re-register a user, make it an admin, and then remove the first user.

If you're comfortable with MySQL you could try to change the username in the users_entity table, but this isn't supported and will likely break some things...the user's profile picture is one I know of off hand.

• Hi Brett,

I haven't done that yet because I thought I had read somewhere that making other accounts admin are different than the original admin created.  Do you know if that is the case?  If I make a new admin and delete the other one...will I lose any abilities?

• There is nothing special about the first admin compared to other admins programatically. If you delete the first admin, I believe the only side effect is that it turns off all the plugins that that admin enabled. This is a bug but I'm unable to find the report in Trac.

• There well could be some documentation around that makes this claim.  It looks like at one point there were at least plans for the first user created to be "siteadmin" and all other users to be "admin."  This isn't the case now, but old docs might exist.

The ticket you're referring to is here: http://trac.elgg.org/ticket/1250

@Karl - Do you know where you think you read this?

• Definitely do not delete your original admin account.  Fatal errors throughout the entire website afterwards.  I created another admin account...made sure I could do everything that the main account could do...and then when I thought I was ready I deleted the first one...and site crashed.  Errors everywhere...I logged into my new admin account and could not even navigate through the admin correctly....lots of errors.  Glad I learned of this now and not later.  Anyways just letting you all know...

• I want to change the admin password. How can I do that? Is there a config file?

• Greedy: Login as that admin and click the Settings link in the top bar.

In future it would be better to start a new thread rather than changing the topic on an existing thread.