Cannot install - "The page isn't redirecting properly"

First, I tried installing Elgg using Softaculous, and right after I installed it I would get an error on Firefox that says "The page isn't redirecting properly". I re-installed it like 2 more times. Nothing. I then proceeded to install it manually. Everything went well until I got to the form where you fill in the information of your Elgg site, like the site name, email, etc. Right after I clicked on save, it would take me to the URL /action/systemsettings/index.php and it came up with the "The page isn't redirecting properly" error. Now when I try to visit my site and any other page, I get the same error. I've checked the .htaccess file, and it has all of the Elgg info in it (I copied it from the htaccess_dist file). I've also made sure the server I'm on has all the requirements... So I really don't know what could possibly be causing this error. Please help. Thanks in advance.

• This sounds a lot like a mod_rewrite problem.  If you haven't, check out http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/Install_Troubleshooting, especially the first couple sections.  Also, what sort of server are you install on?

• I also just tried to install Ellg for the very first time and got the same error in FireFox

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

I also tried in Google Chrome and got this message

This web page has a redirect loop. The webpage at http://www.abcdefg.co.uk/social/index.php has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

Below is the original error message

Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.
    j
  • This is also my server info:

General server info:
    Operating system Linux
    Hosting package 250MB
    Path to PERL /usr/bin/perl
    Server Name eter
    Theme x3
    Kernel version 2.6.27.39-Intelv5
    cPanel Version 11.25.0-RELEASE
    Architecture x86_64
    MySQL version 5.0.87-community
    cPanel Build 42400
    Path to sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
    Apache version 2.0.63
    PHP version 5.2.11
    cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1)
  • I also get this error (The page isn't redirecting properly - In my case, browser can't load index.php).

At first, elgg run smoothly but after 5 or more account created, this error occurs.

I installed elgg in subdirectory so i do brett's suggestion but no success.

(I edit .htaccess and add RewriteBase /my-elgg-path after RewriteEngine on)

I activated garbage collection and crontrigger, is this mod give this error? Please, I Need any suggestion related this problem.

-Thank you for your help, prasetyo-

• More information, i can't access every file under elgg installation using browser.

It will show 302 Found The document has been temporarily moved to here. (in opera)

If I delete .htaccess, i can load the index.php but without theme, after that if i try login the error will occurs again.

• Has anyone solved this problem? I'm getting the redirect error too.

• Hi, i have the same problem, tyed several time to re-install without results.

I have easy php (latest version 5.3.10) but when i try to reach localhost receive:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\EasyPHP-5.3.2\www\elgg-1.7\engine\lib\elgglib.php on line 1856

Some one knows a way to selve it?

Thanks

• Did you check your Apache error log?