Hosting elgg with 1000 active users?

Hi All

I wonder if anyone has experience of hosting an elgg instance of up to 1000 active users.

We were trying to estimate the costs of doing so, we'd be running a few mods that encourage user interaction, page refreshes etc.

Does anyone have a ballpark of what it might cost e.g. would an amazon small instance possibly cover it, or a basic VPS.  Would I be right to guess it under $50 a month?  

If anyone has some experience with larger communities, I'd love to know some rough costs, and how they scale.  Or maybe even the costs of elgg.org itself, if anyone knows ...

Thanks!

• What about hosting here only 9,95 if you pay for 2 years http://www.hostupon.com/elgg-hosting.html.

You can chat with them and ask about your requirments.

• Active users is a slippery term. Do you mean 1,000 people using Elgg at the same time?

You also need to consider usage patterns. If you have a lot of RSS users, that puts a lot more strain on your server due to the constant loading. If you want to use real-time applications - chat, ajax refreshes - again, that adds a lot more load.

• 1000 users registered = aprox max 5 online = $ 20/month

1000 users online = $1000/ month dedicated boxe(s) plus mysql and server guru

ask Dhruva he is the expert on this

• It would be a normal elgg install but we want to build a 'predictions market' plugin.

So that would mean people checking the markets, refreshing etc.  Not that sure what % would be actively using at any one time ... maybe 10-20%  so 100-200 ...

Hope that gives a bit more background ... the tempting solution is pay as you go with amazon ....

• maybe you can give cloud servers a try? either go by monthly or pay as you go.

http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/servers

Pricing for Cloud Server starts at $10.95 per month or 1.5¢ per hour plus bandwidth. Since you can pay by the hour, it's really easy and affordable to spin up a new Cloud Server when you need the additional cloud computing power for testing or development–and then simply remove it when you're done.

• We run a couple of sites with very heavy RSS, Ajax, and polling data load, with 12,000 and 4,000 users respectively. This runs fine on both Rackspace dedicated host @ about £400/month and WebFusion @ about £250. Concurrent users are typically in the 20-50 range. The heaviest loads we encounter are when we are being spidered by the search engines, with around 4 million pages of content.

I think the sort of scale you are talking about would work fine on an inexpensive shared host- main issue is the SLA's and support standards you require, rather than the technical 

• 10-20% online at the same time is an extremely high percentage. We tend to max out around 5% and as an intranet site I'd expect our percentages to be higher than a internet site.

• I have around a 1000 registrered users, and see 5-10% online at the same time. I have quite a few plugins enabled, including auto refresh of the river and an ajax chat.

A VPS came up short on this, so we moved to a dedicated server with Core i7 and 8GB RAM - now everything runs smooth and fast.

• We all hope to get busier, so this is a VERY helpful thread! Thanks for the input from the guys with experience.