Upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7 - 2 errors :(

Hi,

I've got a lot o trouble when trying to upgrade elgg from 1.5 to 1.7

1. Afeter uploading files (1.7) to 1.5 and running upgrade.php, there is a elgg logo on the center of the screen and after some time I've got 500 server error.... 

2. I've lost polish national signs in 1.7. MySQL backup application I use is 100% transparent, so the problem is in elgg.

I really need help :(((

Is there anybody who can solve my problems?

How long update should take? (I mean time from start upgrade.php to end)

(sorry for my english ;))

• So that could be a solution, because I always had UTF-8 in my previous 1.5 installation, so the conversion is not nessesary.

• :( i've created test site (1.5), done everything like you wish (upgrade without this one file) and there is still the same problem with national characters... Have you got any other idea? It looks like upgrade.php changes content in database to another charset or maybe there is a problem with some function that is getting data from database?

I'm very grateful for all your help, I'm sure, that together we will solve this problem.

• If you delete that php file, it does not change the database on upgrade. Elgg 1.7 does specify that it wants a UTF connection to the database. You could try commenting that out. It is in /engine/lib/database.php:

mysql_query("SET NAMES utf8");

You don't need to run the upgrade or anything after commenting that out.

• It worked!!!

Fantastic job! I really appreciate your engagement!!!
    Without your help I'd never do this by my own :)

Thanx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Well, ideally we will figure out why your setup only works with UTF8 turned off. Otherwise, every time you upgrade Elgg you will have to comment out that line.

• The most important thing is that it worked and we exactly know what was the reason.

Now I'm checking out other funcionalities looking for bugs, and unfortunately I've got one.

If user used polish national characters in user name, his profile icon is lost (he has gray, default icon). Maybe it's the same situation but regarding data folder -> errors during upgrade. How do you think?

• @mostekkk - one of the big upgrades in 1.7 was using users' unique GUIDs and the date they signed up for their data directory. In the past Elgg has problem with people using characters that the operating system did not support for directories. This fixes all of that.

What should have happened is that new personal directories would be created and the files moved over. You said that the upgrade script did not appear to complete. Maybe the directory renaming did not finish. Are you able to look in your data directory? The old directories had names of a single character based on usernames. The new ones start with the year they signed up.

• I have both of them - with dates and first letters. Should I delete folders with letters and leave only that with dates? Maybe upgrade script missed folders with national characters, because it fought, that they where corrupted?

Is there a way to check this manually? I've got only few members with national signs in user name, so I think I'll be able to do so.

And another question - i understand, that now, after upgrade, there will be no such problems with national characters in user names because of new way of file storage method?

• I would not delete anything yet.

Can you confirm that only users with Polish characters in the username lost their profile icons?