Welcome Message Problems

An answer to this topic might be buried deep, but I looked back quite a few pages.  Either way, I thought someone here could help me with this since someone was so helpful last time.

When I edit my welcome message, it doesn't accept html.  Do I have a setting wrong or something?

If I wanted to manually fix the welcome message with html and force it to work, where would I find that file?

• I believe that you would need to install a plugin (perhaps phpmailer?) because the core Elgg default email function does not support HTML.

• I have written a plugin which (among other things) replaces the core email notification handler with a similar notification handler except that it send the email in HTML format. It should be pretty straightforward to write a plugin that does this. I'm not sure what phpmailer does but it might be the easiest solution, just like Kevin said.

• Well, my question was actually not about email messages that go out, but about the Welcome Message people see when they first visit the site.  I am trying to make it look as good as possible when I edit it on the external pages.  But, I put html in and it strips html out when I save it.  The right side of the page works just fine.  But, the left side, the side right below the "Welcome 'Visitor'", doesn't accept html and strips it out of my message when I hit save.

I'm sorry about not being more clear about that.  Looking back over my original message, I realize I would have thought the same thing that I was talking about email messages that are going out.

<!--Session data-->