Background image

Hi everyone?

I'm at at a lost with this and was hoping if I can get some help. I'm trying to add a background image for my backgroung but don't know where to look to get it done. I'm currently using the lastest elgg download. I'm not trying to add a theme or anything special just a background image.

Thank You

• Hi Mr.Achiever :) U can achieve what you r looking for and much more with this plugin

CustomStyle

Jeroen Dalsem

by Jeroen Dalsem

HaPPy ElGGinG :)

• I'm sorry jaxcatz, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm trying to add a background image to my site not profile and thanks that plugin will help to improve my site for members.

• @Mr Achiever, edit your css.php file of theme

Regards,
    Team Webgalli
    http://webgalli.com

• @Team Webgalli, I didn't download a theme so should I go to views/default/css.php to add the background image?

• the better way is to download a theme, and modify it so that it will be upgrade friendly :)

• @ Mr. Achiever
    I downloaded the simplebluewhite theme and then opened the graphics in Gimp and used these as a template for my own before uploading them and activating the plugin.

It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but consider that these images are quite large, so the size/resolution of any images you want to use will need to be reasonable to avoid looking tacky.

• background images can cause pages to load slower. There are some simple tricks to get a nice background via CSS.

This website should give you some simple tutorials on how to deal with CSS.
    www.w3schools.com

• Find this in your theme > views > default inthe css section:

/* ***************************************
        DEFAULTS
    *************************************** */

body {
        text-align:left;
        margin:0 auto;
        padding:0;
        background: url(<?php echo $vars['url']; ?>mod/Your_Desired_Background_Image.jpg) center left no-repeat fixed;
        font: 80%/1.4  "Lucida Grande", Verdana, sans-serif;
        color: #333333;
    }

Put you image (has to be the right size for the screen/canvas and not too many kbs :) ) into the mod folder if you use the path above, but it could be anywhere in public_html

Anyway... works for me.

• Or if you want to be fancy you can use a gradient like this:

background: #FFFFFF;

filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#FFFFFF', endColorstr='#E0DEDE'); /* for IE */

background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(#FFFFFF), to(#E0DEDE)); /* for webkit browsers */

background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  #FFFFFF,  #E0DEDE); /* for firefox 3.6+ */

All 4 of these are the background to cover the gradient working in all browsers excet IE 6 which doesn't like them.

Enjoy!