(Dead) Horses in Elggs!

I am watching elgg community for a while. I observed peoples enthusiasm for elgg, and their love and interest too. Many have enjoyed playing with SN through elgg, which they could not think without.

But there are two issues that made me feel anxious! This is about updating elgg. I saw ppl updated to next version and then spent days with nightmare! And what then the admin gets the news about next release! This is somewhat manageable, staying in 1.2 or, 1.5 for ages! But, when it says security updates...then? I appreciate the hard work behind, but I think there should be a cleat harmony. For instance, 1.7 came with limited pagination(does not work on admin page) and users privacy setup problems(if user sets "friends only" it does not show to the friend! but keep private) This is not what is the letter about!

There are loads of nice mods and plugins. Each of them are result of hard work and passion, doubtlessly. But, most of them are not updated to support the next generation of elgg. There are mods that do not have any update in almost a year! These are blocking the way in two sense: one many other dedicated programmars are not taking the idea or code, coz someone else is doing it (which is not true) and the dummy users are getting a poor impression about elgg.

I suggest, a place to track, whats the next update of the engine, and what to expect there, before testing and after! Before a new release, try to fix the problem from earlier version! Most importantly  the update process has become scary for the admins, as there are tons of request for help after the update!

If none of this is possible, mark the mods, plugin as active or outdated! So that no one is trapped into mods that is not future proof. Hence delete it from the download site, and inform others, so what someone else can feel free to build a newer one.

Elgg is well.

• 20 hours x $50 = $1000

but for you my **friend.. gratis.. free  $0- lolz p-)

• @Dave

You have my $0 offer ..already...

• I have already coded an application for what I needed.

• @Dhrup

I have a challenge for you... Why not create an app that prevents bots from running up server resources by hitting it too many times per second.

• A little quibbling can be good. 

Sometimes it seems the only way to find out the status of a plugin is to follow the comment threads or look at the date it was last updated.  That said, as a relative newbie here, I am extremely grateful to all the people who have taken the time to offer their talents (the core developers, the plugin guys, and anyone who posts comments that further understanding).

And Dave, I'm with you on that suggestion to stop the bots. If it's here, I can't find it, but a bad-behavior plugin would be wonderful. I believe Wordpress, B2, and Joomla all have free plugins for BH.

• I have code that I have to port into a plugin. I honestly do not have that great of an understanding of how plugins work to do it. But this quibble has me reading a lot of docs. I know Perl best and PHP enough to read what is going on. My bot stopper is written in php (easy to read and understand what is going on in the code) and has worked for me in tough times. I say tough times as I used to be a black hat but have since converted to fighting the bad guys.