Database/Performance Troubles =[

Hi,

Im a bit of a newbie to this so you'll have to excuse me if some of these questions are a bit obvious... Basically Im in the process of customizing my elgg (1.7.1) site and have already come into problems regarding the performance of my setup.

The site seems to run fine as far as I can see with a maximum of 3 widgets on my profile or dashboard page but when I begin to add more it becomes very temperamental (it does some times work with 4) What happens is that when the widget laiden page is loading most of the widgets load up fine but a random one will appear as a database error: 'cannot connect to the database with the given credentials' & the appearence of the site changes to a blue background.

Im guessing that the problem will be my database stuggling with multiple read/write commands at once - I have read things in the docs that can be done to optimise performance - split r/w, memcache, etc. but I have no clue how to even begin doing this?

besides all of that is in the scalability section - which suggests adaption to come with huge amounts of users, surely it shouldn't need to be done to come with one test user with a few widgets?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Danny

• sorry, Just talked to him and he rents it - through hosting24... dont know if that changes anything?

• FYI:
    -------- Performance Metrics -------------------------------------------------
    [--] Reads / Writes: 94% / 6%
    [--] Total buffers: 1.7G global + 2.7M per thread (600 max threads)
    [OK] Maximum possible memory usage: 3.3G (41% of installed RAM)
    [OK] Slow queries: 0% (657/27M)
    [OK] Highest usage of available connections: 39% (239/600)
    [OK] Key buffer size / total MyISAM indexes: 1.4G/1.8G
    [OK] Query cache efficiency: 66.8% (17M cached / 26M selects)
    [OK] Query cache prunes per day: 0
    [OK] Sorts requiring temporary tables: 0% (195 temp sorts / 235K sorts)
    [OK] Temporary tables created on disk: 0% (935 on disk / 94K total)
    [OK] Open file limit used: 16% (2K/16K)
    [OK] Table locks acquired immediately: 98% (19M immediate / 19M locks)
    [OK] InnoDB data size / buffer pool: 2.4M/8.0M

Databse connect problems are almost always associated with "shared-hosting", not dedicated ;-)

• There is no way that a properly configured dedicated server should struggle to serve a simple profile page.

• well maybe the problem does lie with how the server is configured then - I have looked on the requirements page and Im not sure if all of the apache modules are present... Coming mainly from html and flash in dreamweaver - server configuration and coding are not really my forte. Could these potentially missing modules be linked to my database errors???

Ill go through the list again tomorrow and add what modules I can find - Ill post again tomorrow with details of what I did and what Im having troubles finding. I presume the modules listed in the requirements will be of a standardised name and could not be titled diferently in the list of available apache modules available for install on the server?

• I just got this today from tech support....

"Hello Danny,

We have found that there is a limit for maximum simultaneous database connections and your client is exceeding that limit. Unfortunately we can not rise this limit for security reasons.

I will be pleased to answer any additional questions you may have.

Regards,
    Vytautas
    Helpdesk Staff

Business Enterprise Hosting Media
    www.hosting24.com"

Looks like im out of luck - Can anyone reccomend any decent (aswell as decently priced) dedicated servers, also what is this VPS I've heard mentioned elsewhere - any help finding me alternative hosting would be most appreciated as I dont want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks

Danny

• Just to let you know the site is only just starting out so will not have heavy traffic for a while but in the future it could get fairly busy - Its not really the registered users want to focus on really but I think maybee Id like more than 5-10 concurrent users allowed at one time

• With a good VPS, you should be able to handle that load and then move up as the site grows. Really odd about the dedicated server not being able to handle more than 5 or 6 database connections at a time...

Performance and Scalability

Performance and Scalability

If you've got a need for speed, this group is for you.