elgg 1.7.1 php/fastcgi issue

Has anyone found a way to get 1.7.1 to run on a server that is configured properly in every way except that php is installed as a cgi/fastcgi module?

I ask because I can get everything to work right as long as I access the site in firefox. I8 sits trying to load the site forever and chrome returns an error message sayng the site is tryng to redirect the user in a way that will never work.

Evey single technical requirement is configured properly except php is insalled as  cgi/fastcgi instead of as an apache module. Unfortunately the two servers that have this issue I cannot reinstall php as an apache module.

So I thought I would come in and just ask if anyone has found a work around for this issue yet.

Douglas Wolfe
wolfepk1@gmail.com
www.wolfeinteractivedesigns.com

• Please do not cross post.

There is some junk in Elgg's htaccess file that needs to be cleaned out. Try removing:

<IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>
        # ugly ugly hack to detect missing mod_rewrite
        # RedirectMatch must be to an absolute destination, so forces 500 error...
        ErrorDocument 500 "Elgg error: Apache does not have mod_rewrite loaded. Please check your Apache setup."
        RedirectMatch 302 .* index.php
    </IfModule>

# php 4, apache 1.x
    <IfModule mod_php4.c>
        ErrorDocument 500 "Elgg error: Elgg does not support PHP 4."
    </IfModule>

# php 4, apache 2
    <IfModule sapi_apache2.c>
        ErrorDocument 500 "Elgg error: Elgg does not support PHP 4."
    </IfModule>

• Thanks Cash,

I will give it a try.

• Sorry about cross posting, I posted in the one group before I saw the tech support group.

Douglas

• Hi Cash,

I removed the sections you mentioned. Funny on the server where php is installed as cgi/fastcgi api it worked. At least so far, I am still installing mods and testing them.

However on the server where php is installed as cgi it has not yet worked.

I am still working on the second server and hope to get it working today as well.

Thank you again for your help

Douglas Wolfe

• You may find this interesting cash. I finally got it to work on both servers and one in a sub directory.

Basically I did exactly as you sugested on the shared server where php was installed as cgi/fastcgi.

I tried that on the VPS server where it is runningin a subdirectory and they are running modx on the root directory, it didn't work right off there.

Adding the RewriteBase did nothelp either. 

but between

#RewiteBase  and (commented out in the htaccess file)

RewriteRule ^services\/api... line

The vps server has to have this additional line of code:

RewriteRule ^action\/([A-Za-z0-9\_\-\/]+)$ engine/handlers/action_handler.php?action=$1

Now when we are done both these installations will have somewhere near 100 mods and plugins added to what is thereby default. at this time I only have about 30 of those added in. Yet everything is working so far. I will let you know if everything works together fine once I get all installed and post a list of mods included if you would like.

Douglas Wolfe

• Thanks for reporting back. The line that you added to the .htaccess file is in the default version that comes with Elgg or am I missing something?