1.7.2 beta is released

Elgg 1.7.2 beta has been released!  Please grab a copy, give it a try on your test site and let us know how it goes!  As with all beta releases, do not use this on your production site.

Changes include:

• Fixed preview and draft on blogs
  • Numerous API fixes for elgg_get_entities*() functions
  • Fixed an upgrade issue with UTF8 usernames
  • Standardized blog and bookmark widgets for groups
  • Added group members list page
  • Group forum topics can be edited and closed
  • All bugs reported in this thread have been fixed (non-bugs reported were of course not fixed).

I'm interested to know how many people tried an upgrade rather than a clean install. That testing is more important for this particular release.

• One things is Clear doing an Upgrade can SCARE the heck out of people who have invested a great deal of time and effort into their LIVE main site. I learned the hard way using other platforms about upgrading. This time I am going to take it very carefully I have way too much to loose. As far as testing it out I am going to have to wait until it becomes a stable version.

• I did an upgrade from 1.7.1 -- no issues.

• Thanks elgg community for doing a wonderful job.Regards coolsam.

I'll do an upgrade today of my test site. @cash  The bugs reported in trac.elgg.org has been fixed so the elgg 1.7.2b for download is the latest one (error free) or the one still with those bugs.

• Looks good, will test it out a bit later. Had to hack in earlier features to close/delete threads and fix blog preview. I can now consider upgrading my heavily customized 1.6 installation to 1.7. Thanks for the great work!

• The 1.7.2 beta available for download does not contain the bug fixes that I've made this week. Those will be included in the final 1.7.2 release. If you want the latest from the 1.7 branch you can go here: http://elgg.org/download/nightly/1.7/

As always, we don't recommend running anything from svn or the nightlies on a production site unless you have tested it first.

One more comment is that we always recommend testing an upgrade on a test site before running it on your production site. We do plenty of testing but there is no way we can test against every combination of plugin or customization. There are instructions on the Elgg wiki for duplicating a site.

• Adding twitter widget to profile page - would not let me drop the widget in the right widget column - could drop anywhere else and afterwards could move it to the right widget column.

Testing on a clean install

• Applied nightly build - my widget issue disappeared :)  Please ignore my last post.

• After upgrade, get_input is not returning parameters passed via GET. I'm not sure wether it's related to upgrade.

• A few more things (I guess feature requests, sorry couldn't find a better place to add this):

1. Customizing the "Elgg" session cookie name, the hard-coded cookie name in lib/sessions.php makes it a lot less flexible if, I want to use another name for the session (in cases where it's not only elgg using the session or when you're using elgg as a back-end system and serving the front-end via some other framework).
    2. Customizing form token names, I would like to use more cryptic token names like "8c873mci" or something similar instead of the normal __elgg_token, etc. field names. Is there a possibility to customize it?
Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.