"Elgg Forums"

Coming from a larger vBulletin site, I'm not happy with the current state of forums/messageboards in Elgg, and while I know there are a couple of potential replacement plugins available, none really fit what I wanted. And I love to tinker...

So, I present, in very alpha stages (which is one reason why I haven't made the code available), the "Elgg Forums".

You should be able to see and navigate the forums even if logged out and not registered, but you will have to register to test posting and replies.

I'm looking for feedback at the moment  and some help testing. So if you are interested, please pop over, check it out, and make a post or two.

• We made a threaded forum plugin last year.  It was made to be a direct replacement fo the group forums.  We went down the track of making all posts entities :)

http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/CORE/read/499321/threaded-forums

• I have seen that, I still need to actually check it out. You don't have a demo available without having to install the plugin? No screen shots either :(

Going with posts as entities seems the only way to do it and stay within the Elgg framework, it's also the easiest it would seem. I haven't gotten to threading yet, too busy locking down the core features. Also need to figure out a way to display threaded topicsreasonably and easily. Honestly I don't tend to use threaded features myself on forums so it tends to be one of those, I'll get around to it things :)

• RPGRealms, we've developed threaaded forums in the past, the plugin is available here:

http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/vazco/read/407171/sitewide-forum

We used annotations as posts, since annotations are lighter than entities in database structure.

We have next iteration of GPL version of the forums ready, currently it awaits for testing.

• Anyone else want to shill their forum plugin? :)

Vazco I looked at yours, it didn't fit what I wanted. I'll also note the one on your site isn't the best possible impression. The posts you do have listed do not seem to be formating properly as they go down, perhaps it's how you are threading, but if so it wasn't obvious and didn't make a lot of sense.

• Is this plug-in still under any kind of development, or has any version whatsoever been released? The example forum seems to be filled with spam, the author does not respond to email. Even in the very early alpha stages of what appears online though, it looks a lot nicer then the vaczo forums.

• @AH ;)

Give the man a break ;-P it's XMAS eve... He's most probably spending quality time with his kids rather than "coding" LOLZ ;-)

Be patient - wait until... "next year"

Cheers...
    ;-X

• Ok, I've waited until next year...  So, the same question (thanks much DhrupDeScoop, but if you have no useful answers whatsoever, please keep your "wisdom" to yourself). 

There appears to be Vazco forums as a native elgg forum plugin, and there appears to be whatever RPGRealms started, and then lost interest in, or got busy doing something else. The last activity is nearly half a year ago (holidays notwithstanding).

Am I missing something, or is that it for native elgg forum plugins (Open source, commercial, whatever. ANY elgg forums whatsoever. Google search results in, not much, people supergluing Vanilla forums into elgg and many instances of people talking about an SMF bridge which also never materializes).

Many thanks.