Groups Listing

Anyone know of a plugin that will list groups alphabetically?

• @Cash

But we should be able to upgrade straight from various 1.5 flavours to 1.8 without any major problems though?

I'm already running the 1.8 svn on my test server so as to bring myself up to speed on it.

• 1.7 to 1.8 will be the biggest upgrade since 1.2 to 1.5 - actually probably bigger. Unlike 1.5 to 1.6 and 1.6 to 1.7, most plugins will need to be updated and it won't always be as easy as just changing one or two lines of code due to the new HTML markup.

Theoretically, someone could upgrade from 1.0 to 1.8. I would never recommend doing that without a lot of testing first.

• Different language, different meaning of alphabetical listing.

• Nah - It just sort of wandered off-topic :D

• @Cash So when can we expect some sort of guidance as to what format the mods should follow?

• Not sure what you mean. The API is not going through a drastic rewrite. We're following the model of deprecating the bad stuff and introducing the (hopefully) better stuff which should give plugin authors time to update plugins. Plugins for 1.7 and plugins for 1.8 should work the same way. The biggest change is the HTML markup. I haven't worked with 1.8 much yet so I don't know how much effort it will take to update plugin views to use the new markup.

• Cash, do you think it will be possible to create plugins for Elgg 1.8 which will be backwards-compatible (even with implementing a separate 'bakwards' mod)?

• Kevin released a plugin called backwards or something like that ports some of the new API functions to earlier versions of Elgg. That could be used as a start. It might be worth making the source code for that available at Github or similiar so that any developer could contribute to it.

The bigger issue is the HTML markup. For example, contentWrapper (introduced in 1.5) is being removed in 1.8. I haven't looked at what it would take to create markup that would work well with both 1.7 and 1.8.

Any ideas or suggestions toward this are definitely encouraged.