Elgg 1.7.2 has been released.

Read the details on the blog.  Download and try it yourself.

• It appears the upgrade when ok but I got an email what appears to be an hourly cron that says  ...

Warning:  Unterminated comment starting line 369 in /home/yyy/xxxx.com/elgg/engine/lib/metadata.php on line 369

Fatal error:  fatal flex scanner internal error--end of buffer missed in /home/yyy/xxx.com/elgg/engine/lib/metadata.php on line 369

Any idea what that's all about.

I'm upgrading another site right now and I'll see if it causes the same situation. Will report back.

• Here's that line: http://trac.elgg.org/browser/elgg/tags/1.7.2/engine/lib/metadata.php#L369

My guess is that the process copying/ftping the code was partially finished when the cron job ran. We should think about telling people to turn off the Elgg cron job when doing an upgrade.

• Ok it shows this in the main Administration Page when I am logged in and I goto the Admin area. So looks like it could be ok then right?

Basic site statistics

Elgg version : Release - 1.7.2, Version - 2010071002
    Number of users : 4901 Active / 6333 Total
  • Cash, I looked at the trac link you offered - but it's all foreign to me. I turned off the cron for the current site I'm upgrading, and will do so for the next one, and will see what happens and report back. Thank you.

FYI - only problem we've noticed so far is some errors with the izap video plugin, but since I upgraded it in our test site as well as elgg at the same time, I don't know what's what. As this current site upgrades, I'll be able to test the prior izap video version against it and know the answer. Have reported it in the izap videos forum.

• Upgrade done, 2nd site. No cron error emails this time. I have turned the cron back on.

Also, the izap video plugin error was due to the plugin upgrade. It is not evident when using the prior version of the plugin with 1.7.2.

• @Ron

better bet is to goto 1.7.2 without any extra plugins enabled -> then one can see just how good 1.7.2 is by itself and.. it is good stuff so far on my testing - neat !

• DhrupDeScoop, I agree, and thats what we've done in the past, but I guess I just got a little anxious this time around and thought I'd try going it with the plugins enable and work backwards. So far everything has gone quite well.

• btw - at every new elgg release i've never had any problems ;-) at least on my xampp - she woiky like magic always.. i m game enuff to upgrade fk from v1.5 --> v.1.7.2 one of these days tee hee ;-X

• @soldierone - no, you need to check your database in the datalists table.

• Just a quick recommendation for some here. You *should* just upload the zipped file, unzip it on the server and go from there. If you are trying to FTP all of these files (unzipped on your local system), for one it is very inefficient. For two, you may make errors with ASC II vs Binary. For three, it is possible to have an incomplete transfer. If you don't know how to zip/unzip or tar/untar on a server, ask for help from someone knowledgable that has access to your server.

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.