Bad! IElgg.org mailbox got spammed by "hello my new friend"

Surely I am not the only one... but 4 days ago I got spam messages here on Elgg.org messages mailbox with the title "hello my new friend" :(((

Interesting is that the sender image is ... my own ! This should not be possible, but how did it happen?

I've not replied to the message...so no idea where it will be going !

• Spamming is an issue on all sites - whether Elgg based or otherwise. As for carlister, that account was automatically banned after sending out a several spam messages.

• "Spamming is an issue on all sites?" - Except, as we know, on the largest Elgg site in the galaxy! :)

But I just got this spam message 45 minutes ago:

Hello,
    How are you? I saw your profile today at community.elgg.org and feel like contacting you.(evline.madou@yahoo.com )  is my contact. Kindly make a contact if you are intestered.so that i can give you my picture for you to know who i am.My name is evline I will appreciate it if you give a good responds.
    Thanks and remain blessed.
    (Remember the distance,color or age does not matter but love matters a lot in life)

I am posting this comment both for Elgg.org and my own site.

1) re: Elgg.org - Please let me know if I can provide headers or other info for you.

2) re: my site - A couple users have complained of getting similar emails.  ... I upgraded to Elgg 1.7.4 about 30 days ago. Was Cash's throttler included in 1.7.4? If not, will it be included in 1.8? (I can wait.)

Perhaps an obvious addendum --- When users leave the default message option to send copies of system messages to their email addy, the spam goes there too. While obvious to us Elgxperts :) ... a lot of users on a lot of sites will never look at or think about such a default choice, and will be incensed that "A user from YOUR SITE spammed my private email addy."

Thanks

• I too just received the same message, bummer :(

Feedback and Planning

Feedback and Planning

Discussions about the past, present, and future of Elgg and this community site.