Is it possible to have a Wordpress and Elgg integration w.r.t blogs?

Is it possible to have a Wordpress and Elgg integration w.r.t blogs?

There seems to be a lots of posts and requests on this not only in Elgg.org but all over the net in various forums. Wordpress MU has recently merged into the new Wordpress - so MU is no more there. By integration I mean the blog of Elgg will be *seamlessly* replaced (and seamlessly upgradable too when needed) by Wordpress blog - each registered member can have her or his own blog.

Why Wordpress blog?

It already has plugin to type in unicode or indic languages tha's integrated with WYSIWYG editor
It really, really allows to choose individual themes in a super easy way
Lots of sidebar add-ons/plugins/modules  including  feed aggregations of all rss activities that an individual may do in vaious sites
It has auto-saving draft and better category creation per blog per user on the fly
It allows individual bloggers to allow several sidebar widgets

On the other hand the social net aspect is Elgg is far superior?

Can the two meet? If so is there any demo? Can that be purchaesed at (what?) price?

• Any progress on this ? Just a common login, not theme or other integrations.

• @kanha

Yes. Because of other necessary activities I have been a tiny bit behind on this, but I started this past week.  One should note though that I am specifically creating a bridge, rather I am bringing Elgg inside WordPress and this presents some unique challenges, first of which is that WordPress and Elgg actually share a set of functions with the same name and I am documenting and making the necessary changes.

At present I have made it so Elgg at least installs itself inside WordPress. However, its nowhere near something I could share yet because an install would be far from user friendly at this point. 

A quick list of what  is on my to do list:

1. Bring the Elgg Admin panel inside Wordpress backend

2. Merge Elgg plugin paths with WordPress page paths

3. Sync users between both systems

4. Take advantage of WordPress permalink abilities in regards to Elgg integration.

There is more, but this should give you an idea of what is on my plate

• "Sync users between both systems" is what makes me drool :)

At this stage I would have been happy, like many members here, to have a common login for the two. Kudos to your efforts.

• @ kanha 

I have posted a preliminary pic and some thoughts on where I am at with this 

elgg and wordpress

• That looks like a really good start. Kudos!

• I was just chatting with Zak regarding "ElggPress" features. There is a fantastic interfaced social networking world coming soon - combining the power of Elgg and WordPress. Many funky aspects are being addressed in the design of "ElggPress". We will be posting more updates soon...

• Great! Waiting ...........

• Any working model yet?

• I just checked roadmap of recent buddypress, where you can now upload docs better than before.

When elgg [plugin is released, will it be easy to install/uninstal/find plugins just like in wp.

at moment, in elgg, i do not see much in the dashboard where I can see all the 100s of plugins/themes available.

Looking forward to elgg plugin; hehe!

• With this plugin, does it mean that I can install wp as my main base of my site, and add elgg as another plugin, just like bp?

what about the themes and extra plugins available in this forum; would they be equally adaptable?

also, regarding spam, which I have read is a small problem for elgg, would this be eliminated when installing the plugin into wp, as wp is protected by akismet?

Professional Services

Professional Services

Get / offer professional help on Elgg; like customization, design, development, setup, hosting... Illegal trades are not allowed.