FBFKids.com

Woodward, Goofers..

you make feel a little bad re: my 'bragging" about FBFK ;-) @ 22974 right now !!!

I'm just starting this little topic for all to come moan about their 50 - 100 userbase ;-(

NOW: SERIOUS STUFF::=

There are many theories on how to attract a large userbase to a social networking website. I bellieve that FBFK's "success" is a coincidence, a social black hole that was filled up initially purely accidently to keep MJ's 5-yr old off the other FB !!.. if you could only read how MJ has explained privately to me.. about how FBFK started...

Have a read thru these --

Much good reading, esp the second one by Ben from a while back, before he left Elgg.com

My small points are that a Social Network will not attract a userbase just because I have created it using Elgg (or whatever) as a super-duper pkg with oodles of neat plugins !!! A social networking site will only be "successfull" when it satisfies a certain "hunger" people have for "something" on the internet. And that hunger is *not to simply be a user on an Elgg (or other)  SocNet web-site.

That hunger is a far more personal and human psychology factor. Why do we go to bars ? Why do we join Tennis Clubs ? Why do we join dance clubs ? Why did we join this Elgg community ? Humans need to communicate their thoughts, feelings, sometime just have a need to to another human person...

Am I making this too heavy and academic ?

A successful social web site depends on a lot of **human factors, not just software and plugins alone.. That is one reason there are so many $5 hosting accounts owned by those who think they will be the next Facebook or Myspace, while the hosts are making $5 x NNNNN per month ;-)

• @MJ.. 

Please forgive us for we have sinned.. How pathetic of me to reduce your lord ship to a mere worthless Ferari...

Only lamborghini would do.. and may I add, a Lamborghini for each day of the week.. LOL

• 23874 ;-)

that makes about 1000 since the past 5 days !!!

23874 children marching along
    23874 singing a song
    23874 children marching in peace
    23874 children driving lamborghini

;-)

•       

Finally Leonard Lin has uploaded favourite presentation Elgg Scalability;-)

* http://www.slideshare.net/lhl/scaling-101-1875614

you all must read this !!!

Also very very interesting is

* http://www.slideshare.net/curryr/geochronos

They're doing some very funky stuff with Elgg @ GeoChronos.

• Well I now don't have to go to fbfkids to do my numbers I get them from Elgg instead. Mother Hen Banished me from looking at the site stats on FK except at noon and midnight when we do the numbers (I haven't told her I can see them on elgg).

By the way we are also doing elgg statistical number analysis and have been since Big D transferred the DB on FK

We can also predict Elggs.orgs future numbers (but I don;t think it is our place to say) I'll leave that to Big D after our skype call later this week.

• Back on topic

Scalability is FK's next big issue and With big D's and the rest of our team we hope to be able to keep everyone informed on our projected road/pitfalls and successes in this area

• @MJ

I think I will soon be coding up some mickeymouse php scripts to --

(1)    scan the apache logs ( which I have downloaded) to extract statictical info - I mention this here in public in case others have the same need to quickly analyze their logs for various stas to study griwth and patterns. Or course anyone that approaches me b/c they're reading will be wemcome to that code.

(2)    daily/ weekly periodical mysql count() on the users entities and maybe some other interesting tables and send email to Admin, others.

• My Prayer

Make the world a better place
    For every girl and every boy of every race
    So we're strong to tackle troubles in life we must face

Make Elgg the bestest Social network in every place
    Code some funky PlugIns for each and every phase

So we can drive ferraris, lamborghini's in peace
    Lordy, let the children smile and laugh and show a happy face

• Do you call them Mickey mouse because they are for a kids site because non of your work could ever be referred to as Micky Mouse

• long story...

when i was about 25 working as an intern in a mainframe installation, one of the more senior guys used to always say "... oh you just need some mickey-mouse code to do that.. it can't be too difficult...."

over the years i somehow learnt to refer to *any piece of code as "mickey-mouse stuff" even when that code became a nightmare ;-)

e.g

zOS DB2 job that runs 12+ hours every weekend !!! and blocks out the whole of database backups & reorgs and the DBA's phone me up to ask what the hell is going on LOLZ (true story)   ...;-(

• Wow a poet as-well So many hidden talents (actually that's quite good) (I especially like the Lamborghini bit)

I have to go now and buy a bicycle helmet off ebay for our FBFKids inspiration.