OUR GREATEST FEARS... What happens when....

Ok if anyone has GoDaddy they it's no secret that they have a 1 GB limit on MySQL Databases. Now so far some people have said 1 GB Database that may never happen going over that.

Now I do not fully agree because there will come a time when a site gets so busy that you will max this out.

My questions is: Before this happens with the main database how would you then start up a new database and have it running either at the same time or how could all the older users still be able to LOGIN to their older accounts while a brand new database is running? Can anyone answer this?

I am asking this maybe very far in advance but it is a valid question and I am sure a few others might have thought about this by now also.

Please if anyone has any ideas of when the unthinkable happens how do you keep your site running and not loose like a million accounts the minute you have to start up a brand new database.

• We have a 5.5GB database and about 200+GB to spare ;-P  -- one just has to buy the extra power etc that is needed as the web-site scales. I have elsewhere offered Elgg people the opportunity to buy into the spare power on my servers at reasonable costs (which neans not $0 lolz). When a database server reaches it's limits - we take down the the site, migrate the database to a bigger server, bring site online again. When a site does reach stratosheperic levels (most will never get here;) -  then one has to consider the usual scaling technologies - cloud servers, federated databases, load balancers, etc, etc..