Anyone tried http://hostwinds.com/ ?

Has anyone tried http://hostwinds.com/ for Elgg based sites?

• how did the CEO of HostWinds ended up in this thread anyways?

• Simple I pay close attention to referrer information

• @Peter (HostWinds) what is your policy on number of concurrent processes running for the $2.50 hosting plan?

5/10/15/20/25 concurrent processes?

Thanks

• If a user is using more than 50% of server resources for extended periods they will need to upgrade to a VPS.....it takes a LOT to do that

• "You would have to pay the upgrade for a GBPS line.....no 100 mbs uplink could handle that kind of transfer. The server itself wouldnt have a problem, it  would simply be pushing too much data through the line at once. We have unlimited bandwidth with our  OC3 direct fiber optic Carrierso bandwidth wouldnt be an issue either. But the videos would load slowly on a 100mbs line you would see peak performance with a 1000mbs uplink."

right.. so not unlimited then.

• What most hosting services do is set a maximum number of concurrent processes for their lower-end hosting plans.

Arvixe offer something like 15, HostGator offers 25. When a user is logged into your elgg site this constitutes a process. There are usually a couple of processes running in the background anyway, so this means that at any one time with these hosting plans you can't have more than 20 users logged in. 

Shared hosting is not suited to social networks in my opinion. It's fine if you have something like 20 users, but if you have about 20 users, do you really need a social network?

• @tunist It is unlimited you wont ever be charged or suspended for using too much bandwidth....you need to learn the difference between uplink speed

@Trajan well we dont limit a max sql connections thats bull shit if you have a big forum or social network site we are willing to work with you in order to make everything work

• @Peter: I wasn't saying that this is what you do, just making people aware of the common activities of the larger hosts. Every contract has small print...that's just life.

That you guys don't have the max sql connections is great as it sets you above the other larger hosts that do. Good luck with your business, perhaps I will try you guys out in the future.

• @tunist It is unlimited you wont ever be charged or suspended for using too much bandwidth....you need to learn the difference between uplink speed

-> having spent a year speaking with techs in the major data centers in london and also researching the subject in general.. i am well aware of the difference. so that is not what is needed.

you already stated in this thread that to upgrade the line would require a payment.. yet on the adverts on your site and in the TOS you posted there is no mention of a line bandwidth in relation to the package on offer. e.g.

http://hostwinds.com/web-hosting-unlimited-bandwidth/

so it is more the case that your 'presentation layer' of 'marketing' withholds the full details of the package to make it seem more attractive than it actually is. as with every other operator that advertises unlimited bandwidth. the ONLY way the advertising could be accurate would be if you were to say 'unlimited bandwidth on a 100mbps connection'... anything other than that is withholding part of the truth to project an untrue picture.. just like politicians. as with politicians people stop listening and do their own thing because they have no interest in trusting an aspect of their lives that they consider to be important to someone who deliberately hides the truth from day 1 of the relationship.

perhaps if i had already paid you and said this you would think of me as an 'argumentative bastard'.. except, thankfully, i haven't. the issue is not that 'people don't read the details'.. its that 'you don't put them in'!

• Untrue, I honestly wouldnt trequire you to upgrade to a gbps line, but your websites going to be slow. I guess that shouldnt be my problem though as long as its up and you get unlimited bandwidth correct?

I was just giving you my professional opinion. If you wana get your video site up and running go for it. I dont think you will find a single host on the planet without a GBPS line that could handle that amount of traffic. In fact most networks dont support GBPS lines today over 85% of webservers are hosted on 100 mbs lines. GBPS lines are only mainstream for corporations and large web applications such as game servers for games like world of warcraft.