Spam @ Elgg Sites

How do we handle spam users/ content on elgg-based web sites ?

• I like bots. Makes me feel more popular! Just.....kidding.

• I found these traces from my logs is these are also spammers or some serch engines. Ip address are included :---

/?view=rss

o HTTP code: 200
              o Date: Nov 30, 2010 5:05:15 PM
              o HTTP version: HTTP/1.1
              o Size: 22,255 bytes
        * Referrer: (none)
        * Agent: Opera/9.51 (X11; Linux i686; U; en)

/

o Date: Nov 30, 2010 5:02:46 PM
              o Size: 6,476 bytes
        * Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; YandexBot/3.0;

+http://yandex.com/bots)

/

o HTTP code: 301
              o Date: Nov 30, 2010 5:01:58 PM
              o Size: 193 bytes
        * Agent: Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.htm)

/

o Date: Nov 30, 2010 5:02:00 PM
              o Size: 6,476 bytes
        * Agent: Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.htm)

• LOLZ ;-) Who said we don't get spammed ? Just got emailed re: some really really techie-smart spammer who had blocked and cordoned off our All-Site Blogs... Took me abt 40 minutes to investigate to figure how de spoofer did his trickz - and then I killed off his smart-..s code in the DB ;-) --> teach them to mess around with me !!

• I think this is a Serious Issue one that you never know these days could become a LAW SUIT for Negligence on either the creator and all who Develop ELGG or maybe even anyone who installs and runs it. A class action law suite about PII Personal Identifiable Information (email addresses) of users that could be accessed and comprimised and either used for EVIL Purposes.

New folks like how I started really do not know the RISKS and DANGERS Involved in running an online social network it is almost as RISKY as running an ONLINE DATING NETWORK with RAPE and Worse that could happen.

• Small but simular example...

What the biggest company in the world DID NOT do any Pre-Employment Background Screening for Criminal History or even Drug Testing for Truck Drivers.

There really is no REAL set of standards that I know of in the Social Network world of what to look out for and the Best Practices when it comes to running a SAFE and SECURE Social Network Community.

• @ghumanz All of those IP Addresses could all be Spoofed or Faked thanks to LINUX OS you can Bring down a whole Country with a small Broadcast attack long ago it was called Smurf Attack used ICMP Echo from Broadcast Hosts millions of them sending Pings right back to the victim IP.

• Who ever it is they sure have a thing against ELGG... If I was the Creator of ELGG right now I would be both STRESSED to HELL and Plus I would be professional enough to conduct an investigation into past or present Elgg Developers even inside this site who either have been Banned in the past or just know way too much about ELGG and is using all our SITES selling Backlinks with a Program they could have also created from the ELGG API. There are Tons of Black Hat Programs built for MySpace, Facebook and Twitter. All of them Exploit the Flaws in their API.

ELGG could be even more easier to Exploit since we all know it does not have anything close to the Funding that Facebook, Twitter, Digg or anyone else Big in the Industry has!

Plus doe they even have any type of In-House or Out Sourced LEGAL Council or Protection?

• LIVE FROM TWITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#Facebook Files Lawsuits Against Spammers. What does this means for the online marketing community? http://su.pr/2Q1OhQ

• spammers have made their way onto my site now :(

• @Soldierone - You are spreading FUD and wholly inaccurate information.  Stop.  

Elgg is protected by OSS licenses that clearly state there are no guarantees about the usability or appropriateness of Elgg for any project or purpose.  If you are uncomfortable with these licenses, please find another platform to use.

Everyone, please ensure following posts to this thread are productive and concern handling spam on Elgg sites and that blatant misinformation is avoided.