Integrating a Forum

I know that there are many plugins but I have yet to find one that works or that suits my needs. I want to have a forum integrated with Elgg, that has categories and connected with the river function as well.

Any suggestions?

If I have used it before I will let you know :)

• Take a look at the following solution

1. Install joomla cms

2. Install jfusion plugin which you can find on the community here.

http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/release/415328/developer/mariusvr/jfusion

Note that this is a joomla plugin not an elgg plugin

3. Set it up configure it within joomla.  You should set it up so that your elgg install is the master and joomla is a slave.

4. Setup phpBB (which is the best open source forum out there I think)

5. In jfusion config set up phpBB as a slave also.

This solution supports login / logout so that when you login to elgg you are logged into joomla and phpBB

It also supports usersync.  These are the two key things that you need to get it to work.

This should also give you the ability to use any of the 6243 joomla extentions within your elgg website too which is pretty nice.

Jfusion supports the integration of lots of software if you so if you dont want to use phpBB you can use something else

Details here

http://www.jfusion.org/

• Have you been able to run flawlessly on Elgg 1.7.5 with Phpbb3?

• BTW I should point out that the latest jfusion should be downloaded from here

http://www.jfusion.org/downloads/category/1-latest_release

And not from that community link about.  That is an old release.

• Am kicking the tires with dual login between elgg and joomla right now so I am not that advanced yet. 

I only downloaded joomla and jfusion a few hours ago

Its almost there. Usersync between the two is working just fine.

Logging into joomla logs me into my elgg but not the other way around.

Does anyone know how to find out what cookie domain setting elgg is using and how to change it.  I think a slight tweak of elggs cookie domain will do the trick.

In joomla I have my cookie domain set as .mydomain.com (note the . at the beginning) and so I guess thats what elgg cookie domain needs to be set to

• Setting the cookie is in engine/lib/session.php.

• Wesley, you probably already heard about our vazco_forum plugin. In case you haven't though, it's an Elgg-based solution which implements features you listed.

• vasco forum gives me blank page after submitting topic.. and i am using 1.7.5

• @Mike(Vazco) Does your forum implement categories with different boards on the forum? I know when I first tried it, there were none, I need to seperate the discussions into several boards accross the forum itself. Please let me know via PM please! :)

Thanks for the suggestions but JOOMLA plugin seems to complicated for me. I just want a plug and go forum. Not a round about one.

• Has anyone managed to get dual login working with jfusion and elgg ?

I am intersted in having elgg as the master and joomla as the slave.

I have it working when I log into joomla first and then go to my elgg homepage but

not the other way around