Renaming Groups to GUILDS

Can anyone explain how to rename the widget groups? I want the name to be GUILDS instead, please help me as I can not figure it out no matter how hard I try :(

Please? Thanks!

• I guess it depends how thoroughly you want to change it. A starting point would be to go through the language files (at least the main language file in the language folder and the groups plugin language file in mod/groups) and replace "group" with GUILDS everywhere it appears. Most likely some other words must also get changed slightly to fit everything together. Maybe some other plugin's language files - especially addtional non-core plugins that add features to groups - has to be modified, too.

After changing the language files at least the text appearing on your site should be alright. The URLs will still contain "groups" though. Changing that could be a much harder task as you would have to modify a lot in Elgg's source code.

While modifying the language files it's maybe a good idea to disable simple cache to see the changes immediately. Or even better to do the testing on a test installation.

• Right, anything easier? :P Like a plugin of some sort? I have tried the SUPERGROUPS plugin, but to no avail here, I am not sure what is going on. Please aid me in this endeavor.

• Wesley! Pay attention, I have your answer.

You download the plugin "groups as communities".

You open up the plugin in a text editor.

You find the function "replace" and you first replace the singular "community" with "Guild" and then "communities" as "guilds" or whatever...

Save and upload. Check mypaintersplace.com and have a peek. Mine are "sponsors".

Good luck!

PS- If you found my instructions clear, please $10 to the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus, located somewhere on Downtown Los Angelese California.

• Okay I payed quite a bit of attention however, I am confused as to what you mean when you say REPLACE function. Will it say that? I have opened it up in FILE MANAGER and I see three folders not sure wat else to do.

• Open file "contacts".

Use any word processor/file editor (wordpad from Bill Gates works!).

Find the menu with a pair of "binoculars" (if/when in wordpad). The is the "replace" function, which means it will replace text "fatgirls" with text "beauitful women" when you ask it to do this.

You want to find "communities" and replace with "guilds".

Let me know how this works!

Ciao!

William

• I tried that and it did not WORK :( Darn it! :'( I edited the Contacts one as you mentioned and put it in Word and it did not work for me :( Does it change the word GROUPS on the TOOLS menu to Guilds as well?

Just need something that works :(

• @ wesley

This can be done simply through language files w/o disturbing any critical files: Your site's language file and the Groups language file. Chnage the parametric value Group to Guild (on the right of the assignment sign; don't touch Group/s on the left) everywhere. So your Elgg will recognize Group still as Group, but on display it will be Guild.

In fact at my site ( www.maythil.com ) I have changed Blog to Quiz (I use blogs for a quiz session). Many don't realize that changing the language files can change the very orientation and personality of a site (in elgg or any other package).

If you need help Just PM me.

Cheers.

• Okay so just change each one to GUILD on the right side of the assignemnt there by making it recognize it still as the GROUPS but displays GUILDS ... I will let you know how it turns out.

• The "groups as communities" looks nice but is there really only one release of it?

He talks about updating it to support the really popular plugins like event calendar and tiny pics but that was 1 year ago

Also the two bugs :

1. On the drop down "Tools" tab

2. On the profile pages and on the dashboard - it still says Group Membership.

That are mentioned here :

http://community.elgg.org/pg/plugins/project/385033/developer/c4lpt/rename-groups-as-communities

Have not been addressed.  Does anybody what to pick up this plugin and run with it otherwise I think its going to die.