some kind of problem on my elgg site

i'm still having the same problem back when i was still with shared hosting, the problem is that at some point in the day, the site prevents users from logging in and registering. the only solution to fix this is to rename a plugin. i don't wanna have to keep on relying on this, because i won't be awake when people register or can't login when i'm away and what not. so can someone please tell me what's wrong with this? or is anyone having the same problem?

• What sense in renaming them? It seems to me that it won't solve the underlying issue. You said yourself, that you suspect the videochat plugin to be responsible. Either this or another plugin seems to cause the issue, so the only way seems to remove the plugin causing the issue. Instead of renaming, you should disable the most likely candidate(s) to find out if the problem persists.

How much RAM do you have on your VPS? The Exception error could be caused by lack of free memory. It might not have anything to do with the registration issue.

• P.S.: Basically, renaming a plugin results in flushing of the cache. This should also be possible by simply reordering the plugins or disabling/enabling a plugin or by running upgrade.php. After the cache has been emptied your site works again until the view of the plugin that causes the issue gets cached again. You could disabling the caching of Elgg and it might work without problems. Or you could try to isolate the problematic plugin and disable it until the issue gets fixed. Anyway, listing of the plugins you are using might help to identify the issue faster as others might have already come across the same issue.

• i highly doubt it's my RAM, i have 512mb ram with 1024mb burstable RAM and currently using 24% of it. so i have plenty of RAM. when the problem occured, i ran upgrade.php and still didn't work. i'm gonna do more test when that weird bug occurs again later on today.

by the way, i can't reorder the plugins when i can't log in remember? even having an admin account, i still can't log in.

• @Cim have you tried rebooting your server? I had a very high RAM usage on my 512 MB RAM and 2GHz processor CentOS server a little while back. I rebooted it and everything went back to normal. But, I am not really sure what could've caused it becauase I didn't made any changes to any of my sites hosted on the server.

• @shouvik restarting my server didn't work

ok guys so i tried renaming all the non core plugins and it came down to the videochat plugin that's the only thing being affected. i'm gonna try putting it to the top of the plugin list and see if this plugin persist again.

ok i have a theory but it might be a long shot. here's my thoughts on why it's not working. ok so the videochat plugin states that all chat rooms will be deleted in 24 hours, except for group chats. right? well this chat room i made has been up for 4 days and i think the scripts are trying to delete the chat room but fails to do so. can someone look at the script see if there might be a problem?

// delete rooms older than 24 hours
            $videochat_options = array(
                    "type" => "object",
                    "subtype" => "videochat_room",
                    "limit" => false,
                    "wheres"=> $wheres,
                    "created_time_upper" => (time() - 60 * 60 *24)
                );

• ok so my problem is gone when i only let groups make a chat because it doesn't get deleted in a 24 hour period. so i guess i'll leave it at this so people can join my group and be more active

• Maybe you should report Jeroen about your problem with the Videochat plugin. It could be caused by a bug in the plugin and may get fixed with the next version or Jeroen may be able to tell you better how to circumvent the problem.

• @Cim maybe i can give some ideas on how to trouble shoot this... you think its related to the cleanup script of the videochat? That one runs once a day and is triggered by the daily cron. So if the cleanup job causes the trouble, you should be able to reproduce it by running the cron by yourself. Just try www.yoursite.com/pg/cron/daily and it should trigger the cleanup script. If your 4 day old room isn't being removed, maybe you will see some error when executing the cron. If it is deleted, maybe you don't have cron configured. When running the cron make sure you have the htaccess display_errors 1

• I checked my code and can confirm rooms are not deleted, but it doesn't clarify the issues you have.

• Forget my previous comment; Actually it seems i can program after all :) Rooms are deleted. Still no clue about your issue.