Upgraded to 1.7.6 and River DashBoard Not Functioning

Hello Folks,

I've recently upgraded from Elgg 1.7.1 to 1.7.6

There are few problems but the biggest one that I need to deal with right now is the fact that the RiverDashBoard is not functioning.

I am using the Core RiverDashBoard plugin that came bundled with 1.7.6 and all I get is a white screen with some text on it. 

I've tried deleting the folder and re-uploading it and clearing my cache but to no avail.

I've basically disabled any non-core plugin to see if there was some conflict and this has not helped.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance.

• Roldolfo,

I disabled all of the non-core plugins when I did the installation, as per the ELGG upgrade instructions.

However, I think that I was using a non-core plugging called 'RiverDashBoard+Wire' plugin instead of the core one and accidentially did not disable it when doing the upgrade.

Gerrit,

I'm a total ELGG Newb, can you give me a step by step on how to accomplish what you are suggesting. I'm not entirely sure what you think I should do and where to activate these things and in which order.

I backed up the site and the data-base before I did the upgrade.

Is there no way to just restore the potentially damaged or changed files?

I'm not seeing a way out of this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• @driftwork : can you get a screenshot of it? Put a "disabled" file in your mod directory. Login now and disable all plugins. Enable them oneby one and check whether any of them have conflict with riverdashboard plugin. Or are you using any plugin thats overriding the view of the riverdashboard?

• @driftwork what gerrit is trying to say is that you should turn on display errors and warnings in site admin before upgrading. after the upgrade, see what kind of error pop ups and then report back here.

• Before delving into deeper issues here.

1. Does the old style dashboard work? You can use a widget here to display the activity river too. Does it display activities?
    2. Do you now use the RiverDashboard which came with 1.7.6 with all files unchanged?
    3. Did you lookup the RiverDashboard in yoursite/pg/admin/plugins and pop open the settings and enter that you want to replace the old style dashboard with the activity river?
  • Ok, I just disabled EVERY plugin on my site.

I then went through and re-enabled everyone one by one.

The Culprit: 'Groups' plugin.

This 'core' 1.7.6 plugin is conflicting with another 'core' 1.7.6 plugin.

'Groups' is conflicting with 'RiverDashBoard'

I have reproduced this five times and there is no question.

I don't see how this is possible though.

How can one 'core' plugin conflict with another 'core plugin?

Any ideas about how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

• hmm... Extremely Odd. I think it had to do with the fact that you didn't disable the custom riverdashboard plugin. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Did you Delete the riverdashboard plugin from your mod folder, not rename the folder, but delete and then re-install the core river?

Rodolfo Hernandez
    Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Well at least I think that is a relief for you.

But it is not the plugins per se that collide. I have them both enabled and there is no trouble. So, probably, it is related to the content of the database.

As I understand from engine\schema\upgrades it seems that the only change to the database tables is an added column 'time_created' on the table with 'entity_relationships'. Do you have that column?

• Rodolfo,

Yes, I deleted it and reuploaded it.(I have not done the same for 'groups' though)

Gerrit,

I can't answer any database questions as I'm a Newb. My Server Admin has been helping me with that stuff.

If you can make some suggestions about what to look for and change in the database, I can ask him to do it for me perhaps.

I'm almost thinking about just trying to restore the old 1.7.1 site and just try this upgrade all over again.

What do you think?

Its 1:30 am here in Asia and I've gotta go to sleep.

I hope you guys can check back with this post in seven hours or so.

You've all been really great so far, I hope you can continue to advise me through this.

Cheers

• My current guess is that the database upgrade from 1.7.1 to 1.7.6 didn't go through. It could be that the database user configured for the site doesn't have the database rights to change table definitions.  Check with your friendly server admin if the database user which drives the Elgg site has schema change (also known as alter table) rights. Because the upgrade does have to add this one column time_created to {your table prefix}entity_relationships.

Regards,
    Gerrit

• Well the saga continues.

Everytime I activate the 'groups' plugin my 'RiverDashBoard' looks like this:

I think my server does daily backups of my site and its database.

Should I just go back to a date before the upgrade and try the upgrade again?

Or, should I try to fix the database?