Big problem for a noob!

Hey peeps, I got a big problem but have no clue how to fix it.... Every time i keep installing (some) plugins i and try to edit there settings it comes up with a White page and this writing: A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again.

Please help im stuck! 

Flunk

• anyone? please im really stuck :( 

• Maybe you can disable each plugin one at a time to see which one(s) is causing the problem to narrow your search for the problem? Also nobody knows what version you have nor what plugins you are talking about.

• How do you proceed when installing your plugins? Do you unpack the plugin archive locally (in Windows?) and then upload the files? Maybe this messes up the permisssions settings for the plugins' files and directories.

You could unpack the plugins on your server directly instead. Maybe the permission error is also due to some files you uploaded before. You should try what Steve suggested: disable at least all non-core plugins first and then enable one at a time to find out which plugin(s) causes the issue.

• sorry i have 1.7.4 the plugins are tidypics, vazco topbar, social connector2 all dont work... 

You could unpack the plugins on your server directly instead. Maybe the permission error is also due to some files you uploaded before. I always do this :)

disable at least all non-core plugins first and then enable one at a time to find out which plugin(s) causes the issue. I have tried this and none of these work

• @flunkyou2 what hosting are you using? why don't you upgrade to Elgg 1.7.6?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• i host with Heart Internet... I tried to upgrade but kept getting that white page when i tried to get on my site! :(    

• Can't you log in at all? Then you should try if creating a (empty) file named "disabled" in the mod folder at least makes login possible again. By creating this file all plugins get disabled temporarily and you should be able to log in again. Then you can remove the problematic plugin(s).

Does the error message also occur with only the core plugins installed? Then something surely is wrong with your installation. In case it doesn't occur without 3rd party plugins try to install one plugin at a time. If the error occurs regardless which plugin you add, you either do something wrong or your server is not configured properly.

• Did you try deleting the current Elgg version that you have, then upload the latest version of Elgg?

Also, you could create a folder named disabled, so that you can disable all plugins, log in, and then disable the non-core plugins.

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• Did you try deleting the current Elgg version that you have, then upload the latest version of Elgg? ill try this.... :)   

Question: Spotlight... how can i put banner adverts in there?

• iionly: it only happens with 3rd party plugins