Alternative plugin repo

Hi all,

I am getting more and more notices from the Elgg team that I am violating the terms for posting plugins on this site. It's getting quite annoying. Is there an alternative location to host non-GPL plugins? If not, do we want to start something like that? I could obviously host my plugins on my own server, but having a centralized place would benefit everyone.

• This topic is totally empty and useless verbiage. Why?

1. Cash never read text of GPL Liicence. If read, then do not remember and do not understand

- GPL doesn't prohibit GPL-development for money: "Free as speech, not as beer". It's just different area

2. His opponents also have not read the GPL

- any product, linked with or using API of GPLed program, can not be relicenced to any other licence

- TOS and SLA of paid programs are outside of licence scope

From the other side, site owner and maintaner have the full rights to define and control site usage policy with rules of any strictness. User must or accept rules or leave site. PERIOD

• The part about any code that uses the API of a GPL program inheriting the GPL license is a interpretation of the GPL that has never been tested in a court of law. That is the interpretation that WordPress takes (see the Thesis theme controversy this past summer). The Free Software Foundation takes that interpretation. There are others who do not (I think Joomla does not).

Yes, you can sell GPL code. I never said you couldn't.

• @Cash: it seems it is currently tested in a German court (a router manufacturer wants to forbit others to modify the firmware which is based on the Linux kernel and suit someone). FSFE has the opinion that forbidding the modification violates GPL... Let's see what will happen.

Money or not it surely not the qustion regarding GPL. You can sell software that's based on GPL (e.g. Linux distributions). But you are not allowed to change the license without permission of the original developers and I think you also have to make the source code available (for example if you sell a product with GPL software embedded as binary).

• Iionly, is case which is tested in german court related to use of API?

I think forcing licence on application which uses API of GPL application can be a bit too harsh... Imagine a scenario in which you create your own application, which eg. controls printer. You want to automatically post all documents which are printed with this application to two applications, one under GPL licence. Your application could easily work without API of GPL application, yet you are forced to licence it as GPL or you're not allowed to use API.

• @Mike: I think it might be related to APIs, but maybe the other way round. Instead of forcing GPL on an application that uses a GPL licensed API, the router manufaturer wants to forbid others to use this GPL API with any other firmware than its own.