elgg install issue

hey,

I've installed elgg and connected the database, but have trouble after the database connects. Yes, I remove the example.php database and I make a folder outside the public_html. I still get 404 and 500 errors after I put in the title of the site and the description. These errors change on what I put at the base in the .htaccess. Any help is highly appreciated.

• Did you make sure mod_rewrite is on? How did you make the install? Is it live or localhost?

Rodolfo Hernandez

Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• @cash I have already looked through the troubleshooting. @rjcalifornia I uploaded all the files to a subdirectory via ftp. This is on a live server. mod rewrite is on.

• @justauser Use the Auto-installer that comes with your hosting to install Elgg. Sometimes a manual install won't work on some hostings.

Rodolfo Hernandez
    Arvixe/Elgg Community Liaison

• rj: I am not using one of your recommended hosts. When you say auto installer do you mean the walk through where you tell it the database, user, prefix, all that jazz? That is what I've been doing. I am going to test a theory of mine and see if it fixes the issue. I know this doesn't have to do with the install, but why do you have all the folders public instead of having one index that links to folders outside of public? simplicity for setup and users can customize everything later? That is what I presume.   

• @justauser - try installing the Elgg 1.8 beta. It has a brand new installer that detects errors and suggests what's wrong. Once you figure out what the configuration issue is, you should be able to install the latest stable version of Elgg. Doing that is a lot easier than trying to guess what may be wrong with the configuration with little data.

• I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many times I am starting to think that there is a residual file that isn't deleted, even though I can see hidden files. I've removed the database, but I still get error 500 when ever I install a version of elgg. This wasn't the case at the beginning, I actualy had it working way better then this!! I am so frustrated.

• Okay, I've just gone through the error log for the server and found out that .htaccess AllowOverride is NOT allowed in public_html.... that is odd... it is allowed in plenty of other places across the server.... should I write a new code block for the httpd.conf to fix this? any solutions???

• I read above you installed Elgg to a subdirectory inside the public_html folder. For my local test installations I do the same. Then you most likely need to add

<Directory "/path-to/public_html/subfolder-name">
       AllowOverride All
    </Directory>
    to Apache's http.conf file with the path adjusted, for example /home/username/public_html/elgg. Also, the RewriteBase entry in Elgg's .htaccess file might need to be adjusted, for example:

RewriteBase /~username/elgg/

• @iionly thank you for that very helpful tip. I have been putting /username/foldername in the rewritebase.