Inserting an age limit to my elgg site. How?

Hi, I wanna know how can I add an minimum and maximum age to my elgg site. I need an age limit for my site because when the site is done, the site is only for teenagers aged 13-19, which means that the minimum age is 13 and maximum 19. I'm not an age racist, but I'm just trying to make a safe social network for teens where the child abusers are not allowed. I hope you answer asap.

Bye.

P.S. And I want the age limit field to be in the registration page. And I don't want just a simple coppa, I want a birthdatepicker for the age limit :)

• TSFI

One question more..

Are you ihayredinov being mean to me? If yes, you know what? I think that you could get suspended by being mean to other users.

• TSFI

iionly thank you :) I actually knew it was that link, but I was not sure :S

• No, I am just being 'try-finding-an-answer-on-your-own-first-than-bug-other-people'. I've just provided you with a solution, and all you need to do is put profile_manager in the search field. If that doesn't work, you type profile_manager elgg in google. That saves me and many others time, so instead of me going to the search bar and finding a link for you, I can provide someone else with an answer on their problem.

Btw, feel free to report me, that would actually save me lots of energy not being part of this community.

• TSFI

OKAY I UNDERSTAND, BUT ACTUALLY I WASN'T BUGGING YOU, I WAS UNSURE! -.-

• Just posted this to another discussion.

There are different ways of phrasing questions:

1. The lazy way: Link?

2. The proper (I-know-what-I-am-talking-about-and-I-have-done-my-research-way): Is this the correct link to profile_manager?

That's common courtesy. You are the one needing the answer, so instead of iionly going and searching the link for you, he could have just followed the link and confirmed that it's the right one.

Sorry for bringing this up, but this community becomes unbearable with questions like this.

• Peter M

I do believe that registration-time date-picker for birth date has been coded by someone before. Seems like it was about 120 lines of javascript code, not any database stuff or whatever. The Profile Manager plugin does allow for custom data input fields to be declared for register form, etc.

I tend to agree with Mr. IH. It takes time to read through questions, research the necessary information, come back and then write it up. I'm sure that most people have normal day time jobs to take care of and do Elgg cimmunity is more or less an un$paid hobby. Those seeking answers to their questions and help should be always somewhat grateful ;-)

• TSFI, adding an age range WILL NOT protect your teen community. How does your code prove beyond doubt that a person entering 14 as their age really is 14? It is futile, and may actually lead your community to belive that the community is safe when it's not, making it MORE dangerous for them. You can only prove the age of a person by using an national/international ID such as a passport number, but then you'll need to be able to access that data.

• @Peter, not sure about javascript code sustainability if doesn't feed into the database. The problem with birthday pickers online is virtual identities we can take on, and any pedofile can pretend to be 14.

One solution I could think of is to randomly prompt user to resubmit their birthday, and flag those that provide unmatching dates. I assume that not many people remember fake info that enter into forms.

A lightweight solution for a simple registration datepicker could be coded in probably 50 lines of php or less:

1. Extend registration form with Elgg's native input/calendar

2. Register an event handler to calculate birthday timestamp and validate against today's date

3. Create entity with birthday metadata on success

The latter shouldn't be difficult either:

1. Register a cron or some other alternative to hijack the login and prompt for birthday

2. Disable user if unmatching -> admin approval

There are plenty of working algorithms.

• Btw, you might want to inquire from Dhrup how he does it on FBKids. It's a teen site, and the verification process is in place, but I am not sure what approach he uses.

I haven't seen him on the community for a few days though. His profile looks weird...

• Peter M

I would not advise too much hope for that. In the past there have been posts like this http://community.elgg.org/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=708890&group_guid=52477
    when apparently he was gone and locked up in some hospital. I hope he is okay.